6.5 Grendel build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10-96inTexas View Post
    I bought a budget Radical Firearms 6.5 grendel upper and put it on an extra Spike's lower that I had. After getting it sighted in with a Nikon P308 scope, my son fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards that you could cover with a quarter. I will get a pic of the target when I get a chance but I am really pleased with the upper, and the cartridge looks like a winner for deer sized game especially for my grand kids to use as it has a very light recoil. To say the least, I amvery pleased with the upper and the cartridge.
    Suppressing it will make you giggle with the recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      From the early days the Grendel was known to be overgassed and would try to unlock the bolt while the barrel was still under pressure. This would result in torn up brass, violent extractions, heavier recoil and broken bolts.

Alot of this is due to it being a "reload" caliber and different powders have different burn rates and different powder volumes.

Having the adj gas block allows you to "tune" it to the load you are shooting. With a suppressor it is even more so. On mine it is almost all the way off.

I have an adjustable gas system (block or tube or BCG) on every AR I own, and would NEVER have a 6.8, Grendel, .300blk or any non 5.56 round AR without one.
      Mine is almost all the way off as well...

Comment

I was looking at the Grendel but am now leaning towards the .224 Valkyrie for my build. Fortunately I haven't ordered the caliber specific components yet.

Did you consider the Valkyrie for this?

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
          I was looking at the Grendel but am now leaning towards the .224 Valkyrie for my build. Fortunately I haven't ordered the caliber specific components yet.

Did you consider the Valkyrie for this?
          I have looked at the Valkyrie and it is a great looking round. I still like the Grendel for deer/pig hunting more.

What is the primary purpose of the gun. Varmits I would go Valk, Larger I would go Grendel.

Comment

I have looked at the Valkyrie and it is a great looking round. I still like the Grendel for deer/pig hunting more.

What is the primary purpose of the gun. Varmits I would go Valk, Larger I would go Grendel.
            Long range possibly deer or antelope. I have a .223 and am building a .300AAC and like the idea of the Valkyrie being able to stretch it out to/past 1k yards. Honestly they both look like they would do the job for just about anything I would want to do and I like the heavier ammo options of the 6.5.

Comment

Long range possibly deer or antelope. I have a .223 and am building a .300AAC and like the idea of the Valkyrie being able to stretch it out to/past 1k yards. Honestly they both look like they would do the job for just about anything I would want to do and I like the heavier ammo options of the 6.5.
              According to the .300AAC fanboys that will do everything you ever need done from 0 to 2000 yds and 10oz to 10,000lbs, (I am exaggerating but it seems that way.)

The grendel info I give you is honest. I like having more bullet weight and diameter. I also like having more displacement to start with. It also does not blow up bullets as bad so the NBT works great. It will have about the same wind dope as the Valk but you will have to dial in more drop at 1000yds, The drop is the easy, the wind is tricky.

Comment

According to the .300AAC fanboys that will do everything you ever need done from 0 to 2000 yds and 10oz to 10,000lbs, (I am exaggerating but it seems that way.)
                Weird, I haven't observed that about the 300 BLK faction on TBH. Certain other cartridge fanboys on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                  Weird, I haven't observed that about the 300 BLK faction on TBH. Certain other cartridge fanboys on the other hand...
                  They are here........they just get lost in the Yelling about how you need to shoot the 6.5CM because it will bring world peace, cure cancer, feed the hungry, house the homeless, bring prosperity to the poor and cure climate change,

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

Lol who could you be referring to??. . . .

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

hahaha. I feel this is how the shooting world feels about the 6.5 creedmore at the moment. Nothing against the round but people act like it makes rounds like the .308 obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post

Sierracharlie out…
                        I like how we mix it up on TBH. It's good to always keep in mind Freud's "narcissism of small differences" in situations like this: we're a group who is passionate about all the same things and can argue forever about one millimeter either way. It's pretty great, and important to keep in perspective how much we all have in common.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post

Sierracharlie out…
                          I know y’all aren’t talking about me lol. Fanboy of the 7 mag and that’s it haha

Comment

hahaha. I feel this is how the shooting world feels about the 6.5 creedmore at the moment. Nothing against the round but people act like it makes rounds like the .308 obsolete.
                            No. The 308 makes the 308 obsolete

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              No. The 308 makes the 308 obsolete
                              oh lawd. And everyone needs a custom 7mm/300 win mag to shoot 150lb deer at 100 yards. lol.

Comment

oh lawd. And everyone needs a custom 7mm/300 win mag to shoot 150lb deer at 100 yards. lol.
                                Nah. A 243 is fine for that lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X