X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft Dodger!
    Nuff said

Comment

At least he didn't choose not to neglect his personal hygiene for a month, have sex with an underage girl, and then act like nothing happened, and become the "voice" for patriotism in the US, like some refer to as their "uncle" Ted...

He was the greatest boxer of all time, and the high water mark that all boxers will be compared to.

Comment

In one respect he fought for his country as an Olympian. For this I applaud him.

In another, he hid behind his religion to not fight the real fight for his country. For this I lost the above respect.

But having to deal (fight) with the race issues in his era was BS.

So I will stay on the fence and not judge the man. Not my place to do so. Only one person that matters will judge him.

Semper Fi.
        God, Country, Corps.

Comment

I'm going with Leon and Jerp on this one. Not saying he was right and definitely not saying it was anywhere near a brave decision to choose his route. My hats off to those that answered the call. With the issues going on at that time though I can't blame a guy for giving the Man the finger. My grandpa served in Vietnam, dad served in Desert Storm and current conflicts, myself and my brother have both served and deployed. So I understand service and sacrifice. Now the Nation of Islam thing? Pretty stupid, but I'm assuming it was just a means to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
            John Wayne did not dodge the draft. He just did not sign up. He was 34 yrs old and had 4 kids and his career was just starting to take off.

Whether he should have signed up may be one thing but he did not dodge the draft.

As I stated about Ali, John Wayne was a man, not a perfect man. No one is.

Make no mistake about it, he did dodge. Ask Henry Fonda (who was 37 when he enlisted), Clark Gable, and Jimmy Stewart. They answered their nations call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
              Make no mistake about it, he did dodge. Ask Henry Fonda (who was 37 when he enlisted), Clark Gable, and Jimmy Stewart. They answered their nations call.

Yep, if you don't follow the protocol of signing up and or enlistment, you are by definition dodging. Great boxer. I'll let God handle the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                Brother, I want you to think about that statement for a second.

I'm one of the most patriotic people you'll ever meet and I know for a fact that I'm the most conservative black dude in the world.

But let me see if I understand:

1. I can't eat in the same restaurant as a white man.

2. I can't drink out of the same water fountain as a white man.

3. Hell, I can't even take a dump in same toilet as a white man.

However, I'm good enough to go die in a country by people who ever called me the n-word?

No thanks. [emoji1475] that's not "fighting for freedom" when blacks had no equal freedoms then. Where's the logic in that?[emoji53]

As a 10 year Marine vet, I have absolutely no problem with what he did and apparently The Supreme Court didn't, either.

So the next time you mentioned a draft dodger(s), how bout mentioning John Wayne and Ted Nugent 's name while you're at it. They had no excuse.

RIP to the greatest to ever strap'em up. Rest easy, Champ.

AMERICAN Icon - The Greatest. Not one other like him, and there never will be.

Comment

I grew up watching his fights my dad was a boxer in the Navy and wactching Ali fight is probably the only television I ever saw him watch.

Comment

Didn't know that about John Wayne and Ted nugent, they have both come down several notches in my book as well.

There are plenty of places to hide in the military and still do your part without being in the infantry. Elvis did it in ww2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
                      Didn't know that about John Wayne and Ted nugent, they have both come down several notches in my book as well.

There are plenty of places to hide in the military and still do your part without being in the infantry. Elvis did it in ww2.
                      Elvis was free ...

Comment

You never hear these comments after speaking about John Wayne......hmmm. I guess he was the only 34 year old in this country with kids during that era. Really awesome seeing people kick a man when he is down for good. RIP ALI

Comment

I am not on the Ali judgment squad, but I can't stand the John Wayne accusations either. Ali dodged the draft, no doubt about that. He had his reasons, whether they are good reasons or not is above my pay grade. Here is an article on John Wayne about this very subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Tower43 View Post
                            Wow! and Elvis was only 7 years old when WWII started

Maybe it was just after Korea and before Nam?
                            He was in for 2 years 1958-1960 and stationed in Germany for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              Im confused, are you saying it could be argued that he showed more courage/guts than someone who went into the U.S. Army during wartime as a soldier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone who would say this has not seen combat.

Comment

Muhammad Ali has passed away

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
                                I am not on the Ali judgment squad, but I can't stand the John Wayne accusations either. Ali dodged the draft, no doubt about that. He had his reasons, whether they are good reasons or not is above my pay grade. Here is an article on John Wayne about this very subject.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...and-the-draft/

And here's another stating that one of the reasons he dodged the draft was due to his NUMEROUS affairs on his wife.
                                Not only did he dodge the draft, he also was an adulterer. [emoji6]

Oh yeah, he was a known racists, too.

John Wayne draft dodger looks at the efforts made right John Wayne to avoid active service in the Armed Forces during World War II.

Last edited by Blood Trail; 06-04-2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X