Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #801
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Same bat I got my son and so far he seems to like it, but he says it's not near at hot as his -5 Zen. That could just be that he had more bat speed with the -5 though. LOL I've heard that the LS Meta Primes are all the rage, but I got a good deal on the Zen and couldn't justify the cost of the Meta!
You are comparing USSSA bat standard to BBCOR, no contest. Even if the swing speed was the same, that drop 5 is a rocket launcher compared to any BBCOR bat. Any time I hear someone say a BBCOR is "hot" I kind of shake my head (no offense grant). The whole idea of the BBCOR standard was to reduce the speed off the bat from the BESR bats. They went overboard to the point that college baseball had to manipulate the ball (lower the seams) to get more carry and bring the home run back into the college game.

From the linked article below:

"Since BBCOR specification bats have been required with the 2011 season, offensive numbers have plummeted in college and high school baseball."

http://baseballnews.com/ncaa-approve...seam-baseball/

Anything a kid gets out of a BBCOR bat is from swinging hard and finding the sweet spot. The only reason one bat may seem hotter than another is that some of the high end bats use better technology to make the sweet spot slightly bigger. So in reality, you may find a BBCOR that is more forgiving, resulting in more pure contact, but to say its hot in the same way these USSSA trampolines are hot is a misnomer.

The best thing you can do for a kid to get the most out of a BBCOR bat is find one that feels good in his hand, has the balance profile he prefers and allows him to swing hard and square balls up.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #802
Roz
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Great State of Texas

If above statement is 100% true why is ncaa compression testing bats because the break in and get hotter is why. There are bats that just out perform others no questions asked, not ever bat is going to perform the same in each kids hand best way to find out is go somewhere where you can swing different bat your interested in and check exit speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 AM   #803
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
If above statement is 100% true why is ncaa compression testing bats because the break in and get hotter is why. There are bats that just out perform others no questions asked, not ever bat is going to perform the same in each kids hand best way to find out is go somewhere where you can swing different bat your interested in and check exit speeds.

Yes, composite bats will get hotter as they break in. They can also be rolled to help that process along or be shaved, which I am sure the NCAA would want to catch But yes, some bats will be closer to the edge of that standard than others and perform better. None of them that comply to the BBCOR standard are "hot" in the hands of a 14 year old kid that just put down a USSSA standard bat.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #804
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

... @Heath ..you got some insight on all that?
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #805
systemnt
Pope & Young

Are the new easton 360s usssa stickered yet?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #806
Isom'sDuckDawgs
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Buffalo

Anyone ever play over at the Franklin Community Park?
Isom'sDuckDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #807
TXJIM
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isom'sDuckDawgs View Post
Anyone ever play over at the Franklin Community Park?
Nice complex with nice fields. The problem is there is not enough local places to stay. If playing a tourney there you will likely end up staying Bryan/CS and driving the 45 minutes each way to play.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #808
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Well I won’t get into a debate about what BBCore is hot or not, but I will just say he swings it very well.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #809
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Well I won’t get into a debate about what BBCore is hot or not, but I will just say he swings it very well.
Ah c'mon that's no fun

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #810
systemnt
Pope & Young

Man.. picking a -10 other than the go-to cat series... is more difficult than i thought..
I like what ive read about primes, velos, and the DSB bats.. .but now theres the new LS's out that are getting good "reviews"...but not sure if theyve been utrip stamped yet..
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #811
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

The bat will not make the ballplayer!! If your worrying so much about a bat for a 8-13 year old, your worrying about the wrong things
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #812
tribute06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lometa

Anybody have kids that have dealt with little league shoulder? This is our 3rd bout with it and it’s really killing my son to not be able to play baseball. Basically his growth plate is separated from his shoulder. Each time he’s rested 6 weeks with no throwing and it’s gotten better. This last go round he was tested for vitamin d deficiency and thyroid problems. All that came back fine and drs are lost as to why it keeps happening. We work in mechanics and arm strength constantly. Just curious if anyone else’s kids have had re occurring shoulder problems at that age.

tribute06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #813
Jaybo31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Go to Dicks and try them out in the cage
Jaybo31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #814
systemnt
Pope & Young

We have a very strict warmup regimine/ritual with tan since he hurt his elbow.
Its emphasis isnt on strength
its on proper technique and mechanics.. which has ended up with a side effect of more strength.
Its pretty simple .. not hard throws.
25 throws @ 10
25 @15yd
15 @ 20
15 @ 30
10 @ 40
5 - 10 @ long (usually pop fly depth)
Then "cool down" throws as he walks back in.
Again..emphasis is on the mechanics..arm position and watching the ball spin on each throw..and correcting as needed.

Depending on the practice drills sceduled we may practice his throw downs to 2nd and 3rd after a break.

He does the routine before every practice and game.

Its helped.
Doc said mechanics is the biggest reason for injury..throwing wrong.. with overuse being a factor but not necessarily the primary reason
IE: overuse is usually identified as throwing incorrectly too many times with not enough rest and/or recovery.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #815
TXJIM
Ten Point

Talking

Quote:
My comment was a compliment to your son, if the ball is popping off any BBCOR bat with authority he is swinging it well
Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #816
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I had to get my kid a new glove. I just looked over bats. Crazy how expensive they are. Wood bats are $175 and even more. Lot of $ in baseball gear out at these tournaments
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #817
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I had to get my kid a new glove. I just looked over bats. Crazy how expensive they are. Wood bats are $175 and even more. Lot of $ in baseball gear out at these tournaments

Makes me nervous as a cat if my son wanders off between games with his Nocona glove his grandpa bought him, or the LE A2000 another good friend gave him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #818
glen
Pope & Young

Dale I figure a glove is one thing. Kids walk off and leave their bag laying there. Multiple bats, usually 2 gloves, crazy that most of those bags are at least $1500
Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #819
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Dale I figure a glove is one thing. Kids walk off and leave their bag laying there. Multiple bats, usually 2 gloves, crazy that most of those bags are at least $1500
I budget his bats as much as i can.. through people helping with discounts they get or through the orgs deal with the manufacturers ..they really arent that bad..and if he doesnt break them..can get some $$ back off them...
i dont cheap out on his catcher gear.. and his gloves arent the high end but land somewhere in middle (he has one fielding (mizuno) and three catchers gloves..*one hes used for two years.. old reliable (mizuno). and two new..a rawlings and an allstar , both have different characteristics we wanted to see which fit him better.. all three have their own hard case they are stored in)

His catchers bag is a boomba with team logo and his number embroidered .. it was a hundred bucks through the org.

All that said.. i have seen the 9 and 10s with 3 top end bats...custom 44's and a2000s they toss into a backpack batbag..
Can get crazy.. but ill spend my money how i want.. how some else spends theirs is none of my business.

https://www.catching-101.com/tank/

Last edited by systemnt; 08-23-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #820
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I budget his bats as much as i can.. through people helping with discounts they get or through the orgs deal with the manufacturers ..they really arent that bad..and if he doesnt break them..can get some $$ back off them...
i dont cheap out on his catcher gear.. and his gloves arent the high end but land somewhere in middle (he has one fielding (mizuno) and three catchers gloves..*one hes used for two years.. old reliable (mizuno). and two new..a rawlings and an allstar , both have different characteristics we wanted to see which fit him better.. all three have their own hard case they are stored in)

His catchers bag is a boomba with team logo and his number embroidered .. it was a hundred bucks through the org.

All that said.. i have seen the 9 and 10s with 3 top end bats...custom 45's and a2000s they toss into a backpack batbag..
Can get crazy.. but ill spend my money how i want.. how some else spends theirs is none of my business.

https://www.catching-101.com/tank/
Nice little case for his mitts! I got my boys the webgem glove forms for their mitts and gloves and I think they are money well spent!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2019, 10:49 PM   #821
systemnt
Pope & Young

I dig that... never heard of it before
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #822
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I always figured a bat is a bat, gloves are personal. A glove is “your” glove...if it’s a Nokona it’s “YOUR Nokona” glove (if grandpa bought it it’s even different) if you’ve never been to the Nokona factory and had them set you up, you won’t get it.

The other one is a gift I will never forget, and I may never get it broke in.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:27 PM   #823
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I always figured a bat is a bat, gloves are personal. A glove is “your” glove...if it’s a Nokona it’s “YOUR Nokona” glove (if grandpa bought it it’s even different) if you’ve never been to the Nokona factory and had them set you up, you won’t get it.

The other one is a gift I will never forget, and I may never get it broke in.

Exactly! Taught my boys about taking care of their equipment at a very young age and they are very good about it. They also now understand how much better a glove works when it has a good shape and how much longer it lasts as a result. Tons of kids get a new high end glove every spring because they neglect them....nonsense!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #824
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Default 2019 Select Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
Exactly! Taught my boys about taking care of their equipment at a very young age and they are very good about it. They also now understand how much better a glove works when it has a good shape and how much longer it lasts as a result. Tons of kids get a new high end glove every spring because they neglect them....nonsense!

I never owned a “good” glove, and never knew the difference, but I can appreciate one. But my son has been lucky twice, and I intend that he owns them both for a long time.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #825
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I never owned a “good” glove, and never knew the difference, but I can appreciate one. But my son has been lucky twice, and I intend that he owns them both for a long time.

Sweet glove! I've never seen one with a Texas flag on it!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:15 PM   #826
glen
Pope & Young

Just got my kid a Rawlings Heart of Hide and they aint cheap.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #827
systemnt
Pope & Young

No they are not.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #828
cwill
Ten Point

Quote:
Just got my kid a Rawlings Heart of Hide and they aint cheap.
I'm a Rawlings guy, but my boys like Wilson's for some reason. I think the HOH gloves are superior to the A2000's and A2K's for durability, but my days are over so it's about them! Lol. Congrats to your son on his new glove and I'm sure it will serve him well through his collegiate journey! Just curious, but the college programs don't supply gloves for their athletes?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #829
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX & OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3 View Post
What team are you guys with? I have a 2021 son who played the WWBA. He plays for a team called Academy Select Baseball out of North Texas. We've played the WWBA the last four years. 11-12 games each time. It's a grind!
huntingjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #830
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Quote:
You guys that are getting to the 15 and up age range need to make sure your organization schedules the PG world Series for their graduating class. It’s in Atlanta right now. Lots of kids get looks here. We have had at least 7 or 8 kids that have offers on the table from this tournament from this organization and not sure how many are now on radar or offers will come soon. Schools from all over the nation are here and not one game is not attended by coaches looking to fill spots. I’ll take some pics today. The two to make sure your kids organization focuses on are PG and PBR in my opinion
Always lots of looks at the WWBA. We play it every year. Five Tool is a great place to get exposure for kids that want to play here regionally, which is most.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #831
jer_james
Pope & Young

I have an obsession with a glove group - A guy from up here raffles high end/custom gloves off almost every day. I won a Rawlings Pro Preferred. Retail was up over $400.

You pay $15-$20 per spot and you get a chance at gloves that I would never buy, lol.

Most of the games last days / weeks. This guys' games go in a matter of 5 mins. Good local dude as well. Always fun to try and get in the games and throw my money away.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #832
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
I have an obsession with a glove group - A guy from up here raffles high end/custom gloves off almost every day. I won a Rawlings Pro Preferred. Retail was up over $400.

You pay $15-$20 per spot and you get a chance at gloves that I would never buy, lol.

Most of the games last days / weeks. This guys' games go in a matter of 5 mins. Good local dude as well. Always fun to try and get in the games and throw my money away.
Do that with a couple of different groups... im the guy always 1 number off..
Old 08-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #833
huntingjunkie
Eight Point

Quote:

Ha! That's my buddy Jared. Good dude.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #834
systemnt
Pope & Young

Having a difficult time pulling trigger on new 2020 prime or a DSB Made.... no freind or org discount makes these things a bit pricey...
Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #835
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
We have a very strict warmup regimine/ritual with tan since he hurt his elbow.
Its emphasis isnt on strength
its on proper technique and mechanics.. which has ended up with a side effect of more strength.
Its pretty simple .. not hard throws.
25 throws @ 10
25 @15yd
15 @ 20
15 @ 30
10 @ 40
5 - 10 @ long (usually pop fly depth)
Then "cool down" throws as he walks back in.
Again..emphasis is on the mechanics..arm position and watching the ball spin on each throw..and correcting as needed.

Depending on the practice drills sceduled we may practice his throw downs to 2nd and 3rd after a break.

He does the routine before every practice and game.

Its helped.
Doc said mechanics is the biggest reason for injury..throwing wrong.. with overuse being a factor but not necessarily the primary reason
IE: overuse is usually identified as throwing incorrectly too many times with not enough rest and/or recovery.
Man that’s a lot of cycles for his arm.. 100 plus cool down before every game and practice. And then count the throwing done in games and practice ...how old is he ?
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #836
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by knapper View Post
Man that’s a lot of cycles for his arm.. 100 plus cool down before every game and practice. And then count the throwing done in games and practice ...how old is he ?
That not a lot at all...
the program was designed by the doctor that treated him. Hes throwing 25-50%.. with the emphasis on mechanics ...not power
If you saw it ..youd wonder how he made his team
Hes 10.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #837
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

So 100 to warmup?
300 over 2 games on Saturday if they play 3 games on Sunday that’s another 100 to warmup then 300 over 3 games on Sunday that’s a lot of throwing for a catcher.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #838
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
So 100 to warmup?
300 over 2 games on Saturday if they play 3 games on Sunday that’s another 100 to warmup then 300 over 3 games on Sunday that’s a lot of throwing for a catcher.
Game days ARE a little different depending on how close the games are..usually saturdays are back to back.. (two games)..so just light toss warmups for as much time as they can before umpire starts clock..with bp work to warm up pitchers..
Sundays is the regimine warmup to start day.. and games are usually back to back with occaisional hour in between games..depending on tourney size and seeding from sat.- normal light toss with team before games with sometimes little bp work..
The point is every practice/game day starts with that regimine ..again..with the focus on mechanics not power.
It ABSOLUTELY has helped his strength accuracy and endurance and most importantly.. hes throwing correctly to prevent injury.
Thanks for your concerns.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #839
Bowtech08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Austin, Burleson

What bat has the best pop? He’s swinging a cat8 27-17 now but needing to step up to 28-18.

Last edited by Bowtech08; 09-08-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Bowtech08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #840
jshouse
Pope & Young

IMO cat8 is the best alloy, that's what I would stick with.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #841
Bowtech08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
IMO cat8 is the best alloy, that's what I would stick with.

Have any opinions on the Easton ADV 360 composite? I’m not a fan of composite but I was told he was hitting the Easton further than his cat 8 today.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #842
Bowtech08
Pope & Young

He will be flashing some new leather while behind the plate. Great quality and price for a custom glove.

Last edited by Bowtech08; 09-08-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #843
jshouse
Pope & Young

No sir, only composite we've hit lately is the Zen, and it's a good one. For younger kids I like the alloy though.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #844
Bowtech08
Pope & Young

Quote:
No sir, only composite we've hit lately is the Zen, and it's a good one. For younger kids I like the alloy though.

I was thinking alloy myself. Seems to give them better pop.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #845
systemnt
Pope & Young

We went 2019 zen to compliment his cat composite..and replace the cat he cracked.. got a deal and honestly got tired of looking for a second bat.

Broke it in today at cages..
He say he likes how it feels and swings.
Feels more end loaded than the marucci to me.. but probably just my imagination..
we'll see once he start using it more..

Likes been said by more knowledgable than me above...
Alloys got more pop..always.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #846
systemnt
Pope & Young

Looking at doing the disney espn classic in dec..
Been to espn a bunch of times for daughters cheer.. figured itd be great to actually play ball there too..
Anybody done this moneygra...er tourney?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #847
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Been to espn a bunch of times for daughters cheer.. figured itd be great to actually play ball there too..
Havent been, but heard good things (mainly about the fields). Good experience and great facilities.

We are doing Cooperstown this Summer. Honestly speaking, not sure how much I'm looking forward to spending that much time up there. Especially with all the kids in tow.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #848
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
no experience here, but its florida...and disney...

Quote:
Havent been, but heard good things (mainly about the fields). Good experience and great facilities.

We are doing Cooperstown this Summer. Honestly speaking, not sure how much I'm looking forward to spending that much time up there. Especially with all the kids in tow.
ive heard its a great trip, we arent sure what we are doing yet, i would vote for omaha again if it comes up, it was a blast. so was gulf shores this time around.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #849
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech08 View Post
What bat has the best pop? He’s swinging a cat8 27-17 now but needing to step up to 28-18.

Anybody growing out of a cat 26 or 27 “
I am coaching a 7u team that needs some decent bats.
Lmk please
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #850
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
ive heard its a great trip, we arent sure what we are doing yet, i would vote for omaha again if it comes up, it was a blast. so was gulf shores this time around.
That's what we are hearing as well - With 3 girls that have no real interest in baseball, it could get trying, lol. In Gulf Shores, we at least had the beach.