Tips for Guides vs Owners How much and to who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Guides vs Owners How much and to who

I have a question for the green screen. Let's talk tips for guides and outfitters, Fishing and Hunting. How much do you pay a guide or outfitter that owns the boat or outfitting service vs the guide that is working for the owner? I may be a cheap skate but I'm kind of in the mind set that if you are the owner of said business I have already paid you for the trip. If you are a guide working for said owner that is different and if you do a good job you should get a good tip.

I would keep guide as the key word here. Doesn’t matter if the guide is the owner or not, tip should be based on the quality and effort of your experience while there

Just my opinion

Comment

I would agree with Uncle Saggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        I would keep guide as the key word here. Doesn’t matter if the guide is the owner or not, tip should be based on the quality and effort of your experience while there

Just my opinion
        My thoughts. If owner is guiding you, I feel he deserves tip same as any guide.

Comment

I guide every fall. The owners are usually guiding hunters themselves as well. From a hunting standpoint, you’ve paid for your food/lodging/hard costs and for the animal you’re hunting when you pay for your trip. All of the prep work, logistics, time, and effort by the guide to make your hunt an incredible memory and keep you comfortable is what your tip covers. Most times guides get underpaid for all of the work they do. They are up earlier than you, stay up later than you, and are working for you your entire trip. They have also been scouting and keeping track of animals for months before your hunt.

Comment

Just my opinion

This^^....If he/she guides you, he/she is your guide whether they own it or works for the service.

And yes you are cheap if you are trying to differentiate. Being cheap is no way to use a guide or outfitter for a service. It rarely works out...and especially not on return trips...
            Last edited by Smart; 02-10-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I have a question for the green screen. Let's talk tips for guides and outfitters, Fishing and Hunting. How much do you pay a guide or outfitter that owns the boat or outfitting service vs the guide that is working for the owner? I may be a cheap skate but I'm kind of in the mind set that if you are the owner of said business I have already paid you for the trip. If you are a guide working for said owner that is different and if you do a good job you should get a good tip.
              As the owner of an outfitting business I never understood this mentality. I can tell you this......whenever I book a hunt I request the owner or head guy as my guide and not one of the hired hands. Seems to always work out in my favor that way. I would never dream of not tipping him because he owned the operation. Nearly all fishing guides are owner/operators, do you not tip them?

Comment

Typically as a guide base pay is only $100 +- per day. We love what we do but keep in mind after driving to the ranch on our own dime and being away from home a decent tip makes it all worthwhile and is much appreciated.

For someone that guides, skins your animals, entertains...ect $75/day is a good starting point.

Comment

Just my opinion
                  I agree with this. I also think there's a difference in "guided". If you just go to a day lease and a guy carries you to a stand, that ain't guided IMO. Your brother-in-law could do that. If all you have to do is have a whiskey while the guide skins and quarters, then in my mind you're semi-guided.

If you rely on a guide to keep you from getting lost, get you on the animal you came for, track him down after you hit him "a little back", and otherwise facilitate the taking of said animal, then you are indeed obligated to tip the guide IMO. How much you tip is up to you taking the whole experience into consideration.

My first archery pronghorn hunt (Montana) was unsuccessful as far as meat in the ice chest, but I tipped the outfitter/guide $100 anyway, (this was in the '90s) because he did his part.

My first muley hunt (Colorado) was unsuccessful as well, but I tipped my guide because he was a good kid and did his best (even though I had to lead him back to the truck at noon one day)
                  These were two of the most fun hunts I have ever been on, and that's what I hunt for, as well as the meat.

Comment

I run Bowfishing trips. My first trip of each month pays boat payment. Additional trips usually pay for repairs/upgrading equipment. Tips are generally all that make it to the pocket for my time as I limit myself to 2/3 trips a month. And if I have a deck hand we split the everything in thirds. Boat, me, deckhand.

Comment

I have tipped on the few guided trips I have been on . But my question is why is it expected to tip . Is it any different from any other service rendered.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve actually wondered this myself. I always tip the guide on fishing trips, and most of the time they are a one-man business. Sometimes it seems like they look at me funny as though I overpaid. (Paying for the trip with the tip included, not 2 separate payments.)

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          My thoughts. If owner is guiding you, I feel he deserves tip same as any guide.
                          This right here...I don’t tip any different if it’s the owner or someone working for the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            This^^....If he/she guides you, he/she is your guide whether they own it or works for the service.

And yes you are cheap if you are trying to differentiate. Being cheap is no way to use a guide or outfitter for a service. It rarely works out...and especially not on return trips...

Exactly. Will make a difference on a return trip

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              I have tipped on the few guided trips I have been on . But my question is why is it expected to tip . Is it any different from any other service rendered.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                              It’s not expected but dang sure appreciated. Some guides bust their butts to make sure you have the best time, why not pay a little extra for the added service. If service sucks there should be little or no tip. If service is extraordinary the tip should reflect that.

Comment

Working...
                              X