Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tpwd basing new archery regulation on opinion and bias over scientific facts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
    Does anyone have sample text that we can use to comment on the proposal? I have no problems copying and submitting it. I do not bowfish, but I cannot stand it when they have no facts to support their rules.
    Go here. Look at Work Session Item No. 4. https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feed.../work_session/

Here is the proposal:

"The proposed amendment also would implement a 48-inch maximum length limit for Alligator Gar on the Trinity River and tributary waters extending from the I-30 bridge in Dallas County downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County and require mandatory reporting for all Alligator Gar harvested statewide except for Falcon International Reservoir (Zapata and Starr counties). The department continues to be concerned about harvest of alligator gar on the Trinity River and elsewhere, except for Falcon International Reservoir, an isolated population that is not subject to significant angling pressure. The proposed amendment would implement a 48-inch maximum length limit for any gar taken on the Trinity River from the I-30 bridge in Dallas County downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County. The 48-inch length limit would protect enough spawning-aged females to reproduce and provide a sufficient supply of large, recreationally-valuable fish for anglers to catch in the Trinity River. Additionally, the proposed amendment would require any person harvesting an alligator gar in public water to report the harvest within 24 hours via the department’s website or mobile application. Because relatively few alligator gar can be sustainably harvested each year and interest in alligator gar fishing has increased, the department has determined that it is prudent to closely monitor harvest numbers and locations, information that cannot be obtained by any method than mandatory reporting. The proposed amendment also consolidates all special provisions regarding alligator gar in subsection (d)(1)(L)."

Here is the statutory language:

" The proposed amendments affect Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 61.

§57.981 Bag, Possession, and Length Limits

(d) Exceptions to statewide daily bag, possession, and length limits shall be as follows:

(1) Freshwater species.
    (L) Gar, alligator.

(i) Falcon International Reservoir (Starr and Zapata counties).

(I)[(i)] Daily bag limit: 5.

(II)[(ii)] No minimum length limit.

(III)[(iii)] No maximum length limit.

(IV)[(iv)] The provisions of this subparagraph expire on September 1, 2020.

(ii) Remainder of the state.

(I) On the Trinity River and all tributary waters from the I-30 bridge in Dallas County downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County, the maximum length limit is 48 inches.

(II) During May, no person shall fish for, take, or seek to take alligator gar in that portion of Lake Texoma encompassed within the boundaries of the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge or that portion of Lake Texoma from the U.S. 377 bridge (Willis Bridge) upstream to the I.H. 35 bridge.

(III) Any person who takes an alligator gar in the public waters of this state other than Falcon International Reservoir shall report the harvest via the department’s website or mobile application within 24 hours of take. "
    The proposed amendments affect Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 61.

§57.992. Bag, Possession, and Length Limits.

(F) Gar, alligator.

(i) Daily bag limit:

(I) On Falcon International Reservoir: 5.

(II) Remainder of the state: 1.

(ii) No minimum length limit.

(iii) No maximum length limit except that on the Trinity River and all tributary waters from the I-30 bridge in Dallas County downstream to the I-10 bridge in Chambers County, the maximum length limit is 48 inches.

(iv) During May, no person shall fish for, take, or seek to take alligator gar in that portion of Lake Texoma encompassed within the boundaries of the Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge or that portion of Lake Texoma from the U.S. 377 bridge (Willis Bridge) upstream to the I.H. 35 bridge.

(v) any person who takes an alligator gar in the public waters of this state other than Falcon International Reservoir shall report the harvest via the department’s website or mobile application within 24 hours of take.

Comment

Originally posted by Sotexsmokin View Post
      A ban on deer corn could be proposed, tpwd biologists could express and show stats that regardless of the use of deer corn the species harvest is sustainable. One commissioner disagrees with the use and sees it as unethical or to “easy” so he pushes through a regulation. That is what’s going on here folks. Personal opinion and bias is not what TPWD is supposed to be about.

They are for providing sustainable harvest to hunters, fisherman, and anglers alike as long as it it sustainable.

The facts here presented by the biologists clearly show we are below 4% on all bodies of water including the trinity. Therefore harvest by all means is not effecting the populations in an adverse way.

I ask you see the big picture regardless of your personal preference in the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Can't hunt deer with a spotlight, don't see a problem with not allowing them for gator gar either.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        I think he's asking for a form letter to copy and paste.
        Yes, a form letter.

Comment

Tpwd basing new archery regulation on opinion and bias over scientific facts.........

Yep, not the first time.

Tags for bowfishing gar and bull reds will work, THAT'S why the cost is prohibited.

Comment

Does TPWD do anything good?

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
              I think he's asking for a form letter to copy and paste.
              Yea but he is a SHE!

Comment

Yikes, that's their petition? They need to fire someone.

Comment

Lol! For the ones thinking the meat is not good. Evidently you have not had it prepared PROPERLY! I will take alligator gar over 98% of saltwater fish and just about any freshwater fish except bream and crappie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    Lol! For the ones thinking the meat is not good. Evidently you have not had it prepared PROPERLY! I will take alligator gar over 98% of saltwater fish and just about any freshwater fish except bream and crappie.
                    I've never had it but have had people tell me they were good. I have only caught three in my life and two of those were foul hooked. Never killed/kept one. Might give it a try if I ever catch one again.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
                      I've never had it but have had people tell me they were good. I have only caught three in my life and two of those were foul hooked. Never killed/kept one. Might give it a try if I ever catch one again.
                      I've tried it 3 or 4 times and it wasn't that good. It was way better than carp! But just a fish that was harder to clean.

But I'm sure different waters produce different tastes also.

Comment

From TPWD publication, Life History and Status of Alligator Gar Atractosteus spatula, with Recommendations for Management...

Ferrara (2001) postulated that mid-size adult alligator gar had the greatest influence on population growth rate and should be protected; limited harvest of older fish (>25 years) did not cause population growth rates to decline substantially.
                        Last edited by Hot4huntin; 01-28-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Yup, its hard to beat a fresh fried gar ball.

Comment

Working...
                          X