luggage preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

luggage preference?

alright green screen lets see if yall can help me decide on some luggage. I have never flown before, but will be flying next april to Australia and im in need of some luggage to bring a long. soft side or hard side luggage is the question? ive heard good and bad about both, but I want to see what yall have to say, what yall prefer, and why? if you have a name brand or particular set of luggage to recommend please inform me! this trip will include my wife, son (1.5 year old), and myself. im thinking 1 check in bag for the wife and I and the carry on for my son.

For traditional luggage:
    - TUMI: Good but expensive
    - Briggs and Riley: My pick, can get expensive
    - Travelpro: Lots of flight attendants and pilots use this brand

For more outdoor stuff:
    - Eagle creek
    - Patagonia
    - Osprey

For travel backpacks and bags
    - Northface: Recon is a good one and you can find some lasts years model at a decent price
    - Tom Bihn: American made boutique brand
    - TUMI: More for business, definitely not cheap!

If you don't travel often, may want to check Costco or Tjmaxx. I like soft sided luggage, easy to expand and stuff what you need. Just be careful not to over stuff and stay within the size and weight limits.
    Last edited by altez; 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

For gear I bring a big duffel. 90-120L Patagonia or North Face stuff. I use packing cubes. For regular trips I use a costco luggage set. It works fine.

Comment

I should say this is just a family vacation, so no hunting gear will be brought.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
          alright green screen lets see if yall can help me decide on some luggage. I have never flown before, but will be flying next april to Australia and im in need of some luggage to bring a long. soft side or hard side luggage is the question? ive heard good and bad about both, but I want to see what yall have to say, what yall prefer, and why? if you have a name brand or particular set of luggage to recommend please inform me! this trip will include my wife, son (1.5 year old), and myself. im thinking 1 check in bag for the wife and I and the carry on for my son.
          I have over 1M airline miles and swear by Tumi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the above on Costco suggestion. Bought a Samsonite check bag / Carry-on combo for like $150 there a few years ago. Decent quality, obviously, Samsonite and other brands do have much more and better quality out there. The sky is the limit on luggage. However, if you only plan on taking a couple trips per year, it's a good fit.

Comment

Black garbage sack works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
                Timbuk2.. they're hippie out of San Fran.. but the bags and luggage they make are top notch.. I've had my Pilot roller suitcase for 8 years probably and it still looks brand new.. i travel once a week driving and 2, 3 times a month on planes

Comment

Osprey. Their rolling luggage, also a backpack if need be, is good stuff. I'm huge fan of all their gear.

Comment

Like many above I travel all the time and have run the gauntlet on luggage. Do you want longevity, low weight, one and done, what’s your budget?

Currently, I’m on samsonite from Kohl’s and it’s perfect for my carry-on. Then again, im a minimalist and can go two weeks with a carry-on. Ranger roll your stuff and it’s easy packing.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Black garbage sack works great.
                      I like purdy big FedEx boxes. They can be taped up real good.
                      And you do not look like a hillbilly with trash bags...............
                      Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 08-13-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

If you don't travel alot no since in buying high end stuff imo. Had a set last me many years I bought on sale at Kohl's wife destroyed it in a year but she was traveling a few times a month for work. Without that it would prob last me rest of my life as I only fly about once a year. If you do it often definitely worth the extra coin though
                        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 08-13-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I am currently on a set of American Tourist luggage that has served me will. It has been on several US trips as well as Spain and Europe and it is still going strong. It is over 6 years old. I bought this set at Belk. The last set I had was a Samsonite set and it lasted a long time as well.

We bought a set of Samsonite at Sams for my friend’s daughter graduation present for like $150 and she went to Spain and back and it is still in great shape.

Comment

we plan to start flying a couple times a year. I would say about $500 would be the high side of a budget for some decent luggage.

Comment

Buy once for life use

Great stuff and multiple bag options

Comment

Working...
                              X