No announcement yet.

Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling doesn't hurt. It's that sudden stop.

Darwinism

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Sorry you believe that. I think a person should do what works for them when they hunt. But I guess after 40 years of not falling out of my stand I have a bit of self confidence.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
      Yep! And complicity kills.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
        With all due respect, is it laziness, stubbornness, selfishness or ignorance? Which is it? I'm honestly curious. I could understand at a young age where we all didn't know better but I cant wrap my head around the fact that a grown man would take a chance in leaving their family with that burden. I personally just like moving around up there care free and knowing im locked in.
        Its arrogance...that would be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          Second dumbest thing you’ve posted. If you think for one second that falls are intentional or planned, you are crazy. Just like car accidents...they happen when you least expect it. I’m betting you wear your seatbelt while driving? Same thing here. If you’d like to stop acting like you’re invincible, that would be best for the rest of the folks considering wearing a harness. Not sure if you have kids or not, but I hope you don’t.

Skinny
          Yea, dude aint to smart

Comment

I had a climber slip out from under me on the way down one afternoon. Luckily, I was wearing a belt. It quickly became clear that suffocation was going to happen if I didn't relieve the pressure on the belt. Through herculean effort (you'll do amazing things when your life is at stake) I was able to get that climber back under me. I waited for my brother-in-law before going the rest of the way down. As it turns out, I had the lower part upside down, and that's why it slipped. It was tough to find a full climbing vest back then, but I had one before I hunted from a tree again. I don't take any chances now. I'm attached all the way up and down. I also secure a safety rope prior to installing a stand. There's really no room for error, and I love my family too much to take short cuts.

Comment

You missed the point completely...and I don’t judge people for what they do...but coming on a thread like this and spewing some crap about not wearing a harness is total BS.

Skinny

No I did not. All of the things I mentioned are more likely to kill you than falling out of a deer stand but more here do at least one of the other things. I always see comments like "well if you loved your family".....well I could argue that being fat is much more likely to kill you so if you loved your family you would exercise at least 3 times a week, you would eat right, that you would get plenty of sleep, and you you would not drink alcohol .........

here is the rub I don't care if you wear a harness, I don't care if you weigh 400 pounds, I don't care if you never exercise, I don't care if you live on little debby snack cakes, I don't care if you drink yourself to death. What I do care about is how judgemental and hypocritical people can be.

If someone wants to wear to wear a harness then great that is their decision. If someone does not want to wear one then great that is their decision. That is how this freedom thing works. It is the individuals right to live their life as they see fit. These are just my opinions and do not represent the management of this station.......

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                LOL...oh how the self righteous fell only their opinions count......So for those of you that are trolling DRT.....How many of you smoke? dip snuff? Chew tobacco? Drink too much on occasion? Ever drive some and then drive? How many are over weight? All of those things ( especially being fat ) are more likely to kill you then falling out of a deer stand. Personally I think hypocritical people should stop throwing rocks and passing judgements but that is just me.

-john
                Well, I don't drink, dip, smoke, chew tobacco, so will you listen to me? It isn't being self righteous. Its being safe! Members are trying to convince you and DRT that what you are doing or not doing has dire consequences. Wearing a harness aint for me either, but I do it.

I tell ya what, ask your wife, children, people who care about you what they think about you not wearing a harness when you are elevated. I think most of the men posting here care about you and DRT, thus the reason they are trying to convince you wear a harness.

Most times when someone uses the terms "self righteous", "hypocritical", know they are wrong

Please use a harness, for those that love you, at least for them.

Comment

If it was a screw in type tree step I have never trusted those things. I will use them to hang gear on and that is it.

Comment

No I did not. All of the things I mentioned are more likely to kill you than falling out of a deer stand but more here do at least one of the other things. I always see comments like "well if you loved your family".....well I could argue that being fat is much more likely to kill you so if you loved your family you would exercise at least 3 times a week, you would eat right, that you would get plenty of sleep, and you you would not drink alcohol .........

here is the rub I don't care if you wear a harness, I don't care if you weigh 400 pounds, I don't care if you never exercise, I don't care if you live on little debby snack cakes, I don't care if you drink yourself to death. What I do care about is how judgemental and hypocritical people can be.

If someone wants to wear to wear a harness then great that is their decision. If someone does not want to wear one then great that is their decision. That is how this freedom thing works. It is the individuals right to live their life as they see fit. These are just my opinions and do not represent the management of this station.......

-john

You aren’t telling us anything we don’t already know or believe. But I’ll stick to my original thoughts as to stay off threads like this spewing crap about not wearing a harness when the post adds zero value....and likely just posted to stir the pot.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                      If it broke, then it either wasn't designed for such use, or neglected to the point of failure. Either way, it was preventable. Not all falls are preventable, but proper fall arrest equipment will save your life.
                      don't kill the messenger, just stating what happened

Comment

You aren’t telling us anything we don’t already know or believe. But I’ll stick to my original thoughts as to stay off threads like this spewing crap about not wearing a harness when the post adds zero value....and likely just posted to stir the pot.

Skinny
                        I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss things. I did not realize that the purpose of forums was to only discuss things that were skinny approved...seems to me that a forum like that would get boring pretty quick.

-john

Comment

Treestand Accident

Sorry to hear about Drury's fall. That man has probably climbed more trees than most folks in this thread and it happened to him. Hell he does it for living. If I did trees or ladders anymore there is no way in hell I'd be without at harness.

Threads like these confirm why my big *** likes my big comfortable ground blinds. The furthest I have to fall is outta my chair onto the carpet floor when I fall asleep[emoji23]. Now that hasn't happened but I did bust a leg on the front of an old office chair leaning for my camera and I slid right out onto the floor. Deer were like WTH?[emoji51] My *** was bruised for a few days.[emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            So what you are saying is because my opinion differs from yours I don't count? Wearing a harness is a personal choice. Just because some people have an accident doesn't mean all people will. Some people use a gun to commit crime but not all gun owners will. Wear a harness and believe you are safe then. I know better. Plenty of hunters have died hanging in one unable to get back up on the stand. That false sense of security means you are less apt to watch your hand and foot placement and more likely to fall. I've climbed elevated storage towers many times without fall protection. When they started making us wear them they were in the way and you had to use a hand to maneuver them just like those rope sliders. I'd rather have my hand on the ladder.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            There's lots of trolls on here but you are now the worst of the worst. I really hope no kids or even adults read what your saying and choose not to wear one because of it. Ignorance is one thing, arrogance is another. You can't control everything.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              don't kill the messenger, just stating what happened
                              Understood. But you did state "they" were dangerous. I disagree.

Comment

I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss things. I did not realize that the purpose of forums was to only discuss things that were skinny approved...seems to me that a forum like that would get boring pretty quick.

-john

Boy you ain’t all there, are ya? Lmao

Point missed. Again. Adios.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X