Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking About Coming off the Rage, What head?

Let me start by saying that I am not blaming the broadhead! I shot a big mature Kansas buck this year just a little forward in the front of the shoulder and got very little penetration. I was shooting the Rage Trypan. We could not find a single drop of blood. I feel that I hit him in the bone of the shoulder and the broadhead didn't get to any of the goodies, because the deer is still alive and seems to be doing well. Again I know if I wouldn't have hit him forward I would not have had this problem.

But, this got me to thinking maybe I should consider a better penetrating broadhead. I am looking for a fixed blade. I really can't make myself shoot the small heads. I like a little bigger hole in the critters. I shot 2 deer with a G5 montec years ago with perfect shots so I actually watched them both drop within 75 yards or so, but neither had a blood trail worth speaking of. For that reason I am out on those.

I will add that I shoot plenty but I am no bow Guru so I need something that flies like my field tips. I tried GrizzTricks couple years ago out of a different bow and couldn't get them to fly well passed twenty-five yards. I have never shot a deer further than 50 yards but I practice out to 100 and to be confident in the head would like them to fly like my field tips at least out to 60 yards.

I am a compound shooter and usually shoot between 65-70lbs with a 29.5" draw. My arrows are Axis 340's cut to 28" if this is helpful. What do you guys recommend for a good tough, well penetrating head that flies well and still cuts a nice hole.

125 or 100 grain Ramcat. You will thank me later. 1 3/8" on the 100 and1 1/2' 0n the 125. They cut some wicked holes.

Comment

I always had good success with NAP Thunderheads before I switched to their Spitfires.

Comment

Ive had good luck with both the Viper trick and the G5 T3.

Comment

Thunderhead is a good, dependable fixed broadhead and been around a long time. I used the 125grain. I've been using them the past few years but wanted better blood trails so I went back to mechanicals this season.

Comment

I shot a warthog dead in the leg bone in Africa. Ran off with little to no penetration. I used the Rage Hypo. After that I used Muzzy Extreme. Took my zebra with it. Almost got a pass thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
              I am a compound shooter and usually shoot between 65-70lbs with a 29.5" draw. My arrows are Axis 340's cut to 28" if this is helpful.
              How does that work??

Anyway another vote for the T3 from G5, hell any of their expandables are awesome.

I am waiting to field test the new Dead Meat from them also

Comment

Ramcat

Comment

From what I understand from the GS, any broad head is wonderful, except for the Rage!

Comment

Slick Trick

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      How does that work??

Anyway another vote for the T3 from G5, hell any of their expandables are awesome.

I am waiting to field test the new Dead Meat from them also
                      How does what work?

Comment

How does what work?
                        I assume he is speaking of 29.5 draw length but only 28" shaft.

I use the Slick Trick standard and want to try the Slick Trick Magnums
                        The Standard has not failed me. Punched through two hogs at the same time killing both in less than 30 yards each and great blood. Slick Tricks punch a good hole, not just a slice like 2 blade heads do.
                        Try and tinker with your setup a bit. There may be something you can do to get the ST to fly better at longer ranges. Mine fly great out to 40, as that is the absolute furthest i will shoot at any game. Most shots are within 20, so they work great for me.
                        Last edited by bloodstick; 12-05-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

How does what work?
                          Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                          I assume he is speaking of 29.5 draw length but only 28" shaft.
                          Am I missing something? The draw length of the bow is 29.5 inches but the arrow is only 28 inches? Are you using an over draw device? If so that isn't something you see much these days.

Help me fill in the blank here, im not understanding.

Comment

Hitting square on bone there wont be many that will do much better.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                              Am I missing something? The draw length of the bow is 29.5 inches but the arrow is only 28 inches? Are you using an over draw device? If so that isn't something you see much these days.

Help me fill in the blank here, im not understanding.
                              He mush shoot a drop away and his rest is in the far rear position allowing for a shorter arrow.

I personally dont like the head to be on or inside the shelf. I prefer the broadhead to be in front the fingers just in case, which is why I shoot 30" full length shaft with 29" draw

Comment

Working...
                              X