Canon: Low-light action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon: Low-light action

Which Canon body under $2000 is the BEST for shooting action and sports in low light? I need a camera capable of shooting well at high ISOs.
    The 7D Mark II 10 fps continuous shooting speed and 65-point AF system make it seem like the best choice but someone told me they thought the 70D was better for sports. Then someone else said a full frame was best for anything low light but I really can't spend that much on a new 5D. I noticed you can pick up an older model for under $1000 on Amazon.

By the way, I currently shoot with a 60D, which I love...but I have to keep the ISO around 1600 or the image quality suffers greatly.

Comment

The 7D Mark II has my vote. I have the original 7D and it is still a great camera but the Mark II is head and shoulders above it.

Comment

I think the 7D Mark II is the best option for outdoors/sports (it is what I have for the application). I like the added "built-in zoom" a crop frame camera gives for outdoors and sports versus a full frame camera. The 7D has an magnesium alloy body versus polymer body of the 70D, making it more rugged and also considerably more waterproof. Also, the 7D has a higher ISO rate 16,000 versus 12,800 of the 70D, which helps in low light as you well know. You have already researched the FPS rate and the AF, so I wont expound too much on that. I think that if you are shooting fast moving subjects, shooting with long lenses or shooting in harsh weather then the 7D Mk II is a worthy step up from the 70D.

BTW, I think the Mark 5 and Mark 1 (full frame cameras) shine in a studio setting personally, but wouldn't buy one for exclusively shooting in low light with moving subject matter. Good luck in your decision!
        Last edited by texas shag; 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Courtney the 7DmkII is a better sports camera than the 70D. I have taken some high ISO shots with the 7D but you have to do certain things to achieve good shots. I'll post a shot at 3200 with it below.

I recently bought a 6D FF that I got in a bundle for a steal. I can give more info if interested. I've been happy with it's high ISO up to 3200 and just haven't tried it much above that. The drawback of the 6D is limited focus point array, max 1/4000 sec shutter speed and 4.5 fps. The only way to match the 7D fps in a FF is with a 1Dx. Remember that certain lenses you own may not work with FF also. As you probably noticed I've sold all of the lenses I originally bought to use with the 60D.

You might consider looking at Greentoe.com. Greentoe thread I've bought 2 items from them recently with decent discounts over other outlets. You make offers to them and they send them to outlets they have. I'm going to leave this here if you might want to look into it. http://gtoe.me/Vbwc/lPh78GtFPB

Here is the shot I referred to above. If you want to discuss let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ISO 3200 Woodlands eaglet (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24494468
          Last edited by Bill M; 05-08-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Bill summed it up pretty well. I went from the 7D to the 6D also and I shoot at 6400 ISO and even 12800 is still usable. I shoot mainly wildlife and will have to admit it's harder getting good sports shots with the 6D vs the 7D. The 7D II is Canon's top of the line APSC camera and was designed for sports shooting and really has no peer in the Canon APSC line. I haven't used a Mark II yet and it's supposed to be better but my old 7D was noisy at 3200. You might consider the 5D III but it just above your cutoff point and if you don't already have the full frame lens to support it your really going to be spending some money.

It would help if you described what kind of sports shots you are taking and what the lighting conditions are. Also, if your not using at least a 4.0 lens your just not going to be happy no matter what camera you use.

Comment

Here is a sports shot from the 6D at 8000 ISO 1/500 200mm F4. Really needed a faster shutter speed but I was out of light.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like the 7D II is the way to go.

Here is an image I shot last weekend with the 60D and you can see why I need to upgrade for these kinds of shoots. A little noise is better than a blurred image but I'm not happy with this amount of noise.

Æ’/4.0 160.0 mm 1/1250 ISO 2000

Name:	bay-tbh.jpg
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24494480

Comment

I've looked at the new 80d and it has some nice features. I have taken a lot of night baseball pics with my T1i and a Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8 lens with good results using shudder priority at 1600 iso. I shoot everything in the RAW format and can do a lot of adjustments on the pc. Over the years, I've learned that it has more to do with the actual camera setting than it does with the camera.

Good luck in your search for the right camera. I just bought a Canon SX60HS and am having a lot of fun learning it's capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                    I have taken a lot of night baseball pics with my T1i and a Sigma 70 - 200 f2.8 lens with good results using shudder priority at 1600 iso. I shoot everything in the RAW format and can do a lot of adjustments on the pc. Over the years, I've learned that it has more to do with the actual camera setting than it does with the camera.
                    Here's another one. All of these were shot with the 70-200 2.8L.
                    Other than shooting in raw, any suggestions on camera settings for better results?

ƒ/4.0 135.0 mm 1/1000 ISO 2000

Name:	bay-tbh2.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	24494497

Comment

Set The C mode with f4.0, 1/1600, Auto ISO, +1 exposure. You will be exposing to the right. Explained here in case you're not familiar with it. Experiment with it. The eagle pic above was shot using the ETTR method I have set up in one of my custom settings. The 7DmkII has 3 customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Here's another one. All of these were shot with the 70-200 2.8L.
                        Other than shooting in raw, any suggestions on camera settings for better results?

ƒ/4.0 135.0 mm 1/1000 ISO 2000

[ATTACH]853324[/ATTACH]
                        Go to f/2.8, and then you can get the same shutter speed at ISO 1000 (less noise).

Is this photo processed at all? It looks pretty flat, like it's straight out of the camera. Do you have Lightroom? If not, you really should get it. The noise reduction in Lr works very well. Add in some contrast, saturation, sharpening and a few other little tweaks, and that photo would be sharper and pop a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Go to f/2.8, and then you can get the same shutter speed at ISO 1000 (less noise).

Is this photo processed at all? It looks pretty flat, like it's straight out of the camera. Do you have Lightroom? If not, you really should get it. The noise reduction in Lr works very well. Add in some contrast, saturation, sharpening and a few other little tweaks, and that photo would be sharper and pop a little more.
                          Adjusted brightness, contrast, color and used sharpening filter with PS CS4. No noise reduction used.

Comment

Here is one SOC, no processing at all. I have over 150 to process to I'm not spending too much time on each. The shadows and dust certainly make things interesting.

Name:	tbh-bay3.jpg
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	24494507

Comment

Never saw it mentioned or missed it. Were these shot in RAW or jpeg?

Comment

Working...
                              X