Recurve vs Longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve vs Longbow

Why does it appear to be easier to shoot a recurve?
    It seems to me I am more accurate with it than my longbow.

My opinion is recurves arent as.finicky about arrow spine selection. If i shoot a stiff arrow out of.my recurve it wont shoot the same out of a longbow of similiar poundage. Really its got to do with the riser.

Comment

I'm the opposite. Recurve limbs are to flimsy for me, and i tend to tweak them a bit. Of course...this is when I'm shooting good. When I was dealing with target panic, nothing went where it was supposed to.

Comment

Some guys shoot a longbow better, some are better with the recurve. It probably has something to do with the grip style you prefer, as recurves generally have a deeper pistol style grip - that and the shelf on a recurve is usually more center cut which makes them less finicky when it comes to arrow selection. For what it's worth, it seems that at the 3d tournaments the top 3 recurve scores are usually a bit higher than the top 3 longbow scores. On the other hand there are plenty of guys that shoot lights out with the longbow and dont like recurves at all...
        Last edited by jerp; 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Recurves go TWANG!!!!!!

Longbows go thud!

I like the thud better!

I also think that if you asked a hundred different prople you would get about half on each side. With the way they are building todays longbows, there really is not that much, if any, difference.

Now Hill style longbows, they are a whole different animal!

Bisch

Comment

Recurve is easier for me.

I think it's the extra mass of the riser making the bow easier to steady. I like a 19" riser and long limbs that makes for a 64" bow.

Comment

Interesting question. I was under the assumption that recurves were more accurate. But you know what they say about assumptions

Comment

Interesting opinions, I guess in my case is the way I hold the bow (grip) is what makes me think the recurve is easier to shoot.

Comment

Once I get the chance to shoot a longbow I'll give my opinion

Comment

Recurve risers are normally cut past center creating a larger site window and eliminating paradox,possibly giving an accuracy advantage. I believe that they are noisier and I don't like the additional mass weight. Longbows are generally easier to draw at the same weight. It really boils down to what suits you best. I sold my recurve and seem to keep adding to my LB inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Recurves go TWANG!!!!!!

Longbows go thud!

I like the thud better!

I also think that if you asked a hundred different prople you would get about half on each side. With the way they are building todays longbows, there really is not that much, if any, difference.

Now Hill style longbows, they are a whole different animal!

Bisch

My selfbows don't thud or twang but I prefer longbows.

Comment

I shoot my recurve better but enjoy shooting my longbow more.

Comment

i picked up my recurve 2 weeks ago after shooting nearly 3 years longbow only.

i made 40 shots and i just couldnt stand the sound of the recurve any more. i ended up selling the recurve yesterday. but to be honest the 62" recurve had more mass and was a bit easier to shoot with but the longbow is soo much more pleasing to shoot.

daniel

Comment

I have had other Longbows but none better than a Hill, Longbows are like Country Women. Recurves are like City Women.

Comment

I really like recurves but I just shoot longbows better. I think its just mental for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X