No announcement yet.

Weekend Brisket lets see them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled mine at 0230 this morning after 11 hrs on the smoker. Pulled right at 200 internal temp.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
      Pulled mine at 0230 this morning after 11 hrs on the smoker. Pulled right at 200 internal temp.

That was a long night..

Comment

Tire

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        Looking good gentlemen! Yall's pictures tell me I should have overruled the boss and done a brisket myself. A) I could have had brisket and B) I could have had room for one more in the freezer at this sale price..

Absolutely you can. Folks do it everyday whether they wrap in foil or butcher paper.....I wrap every time but late in the process so the bark is good and layered.

That's pretty trimmed up compared to many of the "rip, rub and rack" guys... I do a 1/4" as well and folks say I trim a lot.....I do also trim all the hard chunk fat from the sides and the area where the point meets the flat. Not sure if you do that Jason or not. Looking at your slices it looks like you do since the only fat on your brisket is on the bottom..

Yes you are wrong to a point. I'm not saying you do it wrong because I tell everybody there are a hundred ways to do a brisket right.. I'm big on "you do you" and how you like it. I'm just saying "a trimmed brisket is a dry brisket" is not correct.

Gonna get a little longwinded redneck technical Smart here on the fat part....and "you" below is not aimed at SneakyPhil....it's just a pronoun.

Considering the fat does not "render down through the meat" like the myth will tell you, the fat cap is basically just an insulator from the fire. That fat renders some and rolls over and off if you have it up....It renders some and drops off if its fat cap down.. The moisture in a brisket is the break down of the collagen and connective tissues/internal marbling within the meat itself, late in the cooking process....not the fat on the outside rendering and mythically passing through the brisket. This late breakdown is why most briskets that are not fully done are tough and dry and folks think they have over cooked them when in fact they usually have not cooked them long enough. This heavy white chunk fat our briskets are loaded with, unfortunately, does not creature much internal moisture nor does it allow or create a good bark on the outside so it goes bye bye....Bark is where the flavor is so I do whatever I can to make it better and create more surface for it. You can throw rub on your heavy untrimmed fat cap and run smoke over it but it's not going to set up right or bind to the actual meat because it can't. It has a glob of fat between it and the meat. Hell I've seen folks rub an untrimmed brisket, smoke it fat side up and scrape the fat off the brisket before they slice and serve. In my mind, I'm like dude...you just scraped off any flavor you had and worked so hard to get....now you just have gray meat slices. But hey if that's what floats his boat and he is doing the cooking then knock yourself out. "You do you". I'm just saying folks put a lot of work into making a good bark and scraping it off because they didn't trim the fat before smoking. Seems like a waste of good flavor and effort to spend all that time to scrape it when they could have trimmed it before hand and just started slicing when done. IMO

Since bark is flavor, I like to have the brisket trimmed of any hard chunk fat except the 1/4"cap.....that hard stuff does not render all the way, doesn't hold rub and most folks find it uneatable anyway. I like fat cap down on my offset or vertical type smokers like the UDS...w/ point facing the fire box on the offset. Just my personal preference and folks can argue for days which is best and why. For me....in my little feeble mind, since bark is layered smoke, plus "meat liquid" (rendered light fat, juice, pellicle, Maillard or whatever the hell folks want to call it) and your rub, I want my flat of the brisket surface on top and I want it trimmed of fat so that I can try to obtain a perfect even covering of bark on the whole brisket top and side. If I have the fat cap up and it doesn't render all the way, you've lost a large portion of your bark and the flat is hacked up by the grate when you flip it over try to cut. Taking it to 200+ probing for doneness at the end lets the internal moisture break down and make for good result with a pretty slice. Again. Just my personal preference.

[ATTACH]909510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]909514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]909515[/ATTACH]
        What the hell is this? Looks like a burnt up good year tire! You should’ve ask robinhood before you posted that brisket!

Comment

Originally posted by Perkins7581 View Post
          What the hell is this? Looks like a burnt up good year tire! You should’ve ask robinhood before you posted that brisket!

I did....he said you liked Bill Millers BBQ.... don't pay attention to him..

Comment

I did....he said you liked Bill Millers BBQ.... don't pay attention to him..

I said Rudy’s [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
              I said Rudy’s [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Oh yeah... Bill Millers was his second fave..

Comment

Bbq

Oh yeah... Bill Millers was his second fave..
                Lol if I could get these rib pic posted you would be callling me before you fired up ur pit😎

Comment

Mine has been on since 2 am. Also have two racks of ribs

Comment

This thread makes me hungry. I had to work this weekend so I didn't have time to smoke a brisket. But I did just get back from Albertsons where they had just laid out more briskets on sale. I grabbed two, we usually try to grab two each holiday they are on sale.

Comment

Almost time to rap my ribs!

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                        Almost time to rap my ribs!
                        I’ve never wrapped ribs before so I did 1 how i usually do and 1 I just wrapped at 160. On my MES it’s gonna be more of a 2-1-1 than 3-2-1 I think

Comment

Never use a thermometer with ribs. Keep heat between 200 and 220 deg.rapping, rap tight, meat side down for 3-2-1. If you like fall off the bone ribs. If not, 2-2-1

Comment

Ribs were great!

Comment

Just something extra. Some home made sausage that I showed in another thread the other day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

all looks delicious!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X