Daca ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daca ?

Let me start by saying I try to stay out of politics, etc but I have started following more recently. I used to say if it isn't on Sportscenter (the old sportscenter), I don't want to know about it. Anyway, can someone explain DACA to me? Not the ins and outs but just the generalities of it?

The reason I ask was I was watching a show last night and one of the characters was a dreamer. The character was mid to late 20's and a doctor. She kept saying she had been here since she was 2, didn't know spanish and would do anything to not be deported which was going to happen because she ran a red light. I know it was dramatized and the show was pretty much bashing the deportation of the dreamers but all I could keep thinking was how in the hell does a person go thru all of that (med school, etc.) and not take the time or put forth the effort to become a citizen. To me that is all on the dreamer.

Am i off on this stance, what am I missing? Is there a reason "Dreamers" have not become citizens? I work with a guy that has lived here a long time, has his engineering degree, etc and about a year ago he became a citizen. He is not hispanic but from one of the "***xistan" eastern European countries. To me he did it the right way and I don't see why others don't other than laziness, etc. But, I don't know all the ins and outs of the process and i know becoming a citizen is more complicated than it should be. I guess the ins and outs/reasons for people being what they are is what I'm trying to understand.
    Last edited by cehorn; 04-13-2018, 10:28 AM.

She was a stage prop for the show. They found the best dreamer they could to represent ALL dreamers. It is odd that she never filed for citizenship through all that.

Comment

It's about thumbing their noses at our "laws" and sovereignty. Most of them honestly believe this is their country anyway (La Raza) and they are taking it back, so why bother?

If they can make us capitulate on this, it will only empower them more.

Comment

All this DACA talk while we have veterans being deported. Need to fix that before anything related to DACA.

Comment

Lawyer

I’ve heard that there is no legal route to citizenship for dreamers but don’t know if there’s any truth to that statement. I’d love to hear from a immigration attorney regarding this. I’ve heard of dreamers becoming legal residents and if so, surely they can apply for citizenship from there. But I don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            I’ve heard that there is no legal route to citizenship for dreamers but don’t know if there’s any truth to that statement. I’d love to hear from a immigration attorney regarding this. I’ve heard of dreamers becoming legal residents and if so, surely they can apply for citizenship from there. But I don’t know.
            Trump recently offered them a path to citizenship and the Dems declined.

Comment

A friend of mine that has dual citizenship and has a huge ranch down there has a unique take on it. He says that it is imperative that we send them back. A lot of them now have American schooling and American values. That education will make them more likely to get more important jobs and also go into politics. It's the best chance of Mexico rising above the corrupt country it is now.

Comment

DACA is basically a "temporary" permit to reside and work in the USA and was yet another "kick the can down the road" type policy. The temporary part is what is mind bugling part of it as it is fact that sooner or later some type of a permanent solution needed to be set in place. The issue with some of the "dreamers" is that basically they needed to apply ( there was a certain time frame) to be in the program and obviously some did not.

Comment

The path to citizenship for the dreamers is the same as for any immigrant. they need to return to their homeland and APPLY for a Visa then start the process to legalized citizenship. The problem is none of them want to return to their homeland for fear of not being able to get back over here. I would assume if they could prove they have been in America for an extended period of time and not been in trouble, they would be granted a visa.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                    Let me start by saying I try to stay out of politics, etc but I have started following more recently. I used to say if it isn't on Sportscenter (the old sportscenter), I don't want to know about it. Anyway, can someone explain DACA to me? Not the ins and outs but just the generalities of it?

The reason I ask was I was watching a show last night and one of the characters was a dreamer. The character was mid to late 20's and a doctor. She kept saying she had been here since she was 2, didn't know spanish and would do anything to not be deported which was going to happen because she ran a red light. I know it was dramatized and the show was pretty much bashing the deportation of the dreamers but all I could keep thinking was how in the hell does a person go thru all of that (med school, etc.) and not take the time or put forth the effort to become a citizen. To me that is all on the dreamer.

Am i off on this stance, what am I missing? Is there a reason "Dreamers" have not become citizens? I work with a guy that has lived here a long time, has his engineering degree, etc and about a year ago he became a citizen. He is not hispanic but from one of the "***xistan" eastern European countries. To me he did it the right way and I don't see why others don't other than laziness, etc. But, I don't know all the ins and outs of the process and i know becoming a citizen is more complicated than it should be. I guess the ins and outs/reasons for people being what they are is what I'm trying to understand.

I am not saying that is every dreamers case but I see it frequently. I see a lot of hispanics under 21 who have been here since they were 6 months old who are not citizens. They speak no Spanish and have no family in Honduras, Mexico, Ecuador etc.

I have also seen South Africans and Canadians (both over 40) who have been here for 25 plus years who never put the time in to become citizens.

I don't know why they don't do it. Maybe because it never occurs to them that there situation will change and it will be an issue.

A ton of wealthy people in this country die without a will.

Regarding the people from "***xistan" countries. Thats an HB1 visa. Its persons with a graduate degree who possess technical expertise. Intelligent persons, with technical skill from countries (sometimes) that hate us. What could go wrong?

Comment

You need to forget about putting the blame on the dreamers & place it where it belongs...the US govt immigration policy. They keep it complicated, expensive & intrusive on purpose for bizarre reasons.

It takes thousands of dollars & even more time...it really is basically impossible for a poor person to become a US civi. If you are wealthy from a mid eastern corner of the world, it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

Originally posted by cehorn View Post

Comment

The question should be how the heck does one apply and get to go to school over here? I understand if they come over here FOR school.

Why were they allowed to stay here for so long in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          You need to forget about putting the blame on the dreamers & place it where it belongs...the US govt immigration policy. They keep it complicated, expensive & intrusive on purpose for bizarre reasons.

It takes thousands of dollars & even more time...it really is basically impossible for a poor person to become a US civi. If you are wealthy from a mid eastern corner of the world, it is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.
                          This X1000. It is the truth.

The government keeps it like this so the average American will have someone to hate on other than them. It's the old Kansas City Shuffle. Look over here at this problem we created so you can't focus on the the real problems.

Comment

I'm of the belief that it shouldn't be easy to become an American citizen. Why should we just accept anyone that applies? We are the greatest country in the history of the world and we should only accept people that compliment/improve that. We owe nothing to the rest of the world. Many of the countries criticizing us for our "racist and restrictive" immigration laws have more strict ones than we do. Now, do I think the laws need to be rewritten? Absolutely. Do i think they should make it "easier" for just anyone to become an American citizen? No.

I think it's funny and very revealing that we are the only country on the planet that gets criticized for wanting to enforce it's OWN immigration laws. Mexico deports people for being black, yet they call us racist for not wanting millions of their citizens.

Comment

Pick a retort:
                              a) Congratulations on your diploma that you received after lying on every application process you have ever had to take.

b) Let's get the straight, you benefited from a system you cheated, lied, and broke its laws...and your using the benefits you obtained to show what a good person you are and that your crime should be forgiven?

c) Bank robber steals 3 million dollars from a federally insured bank.. no local people lost their money...its federally insured remember...
                              He uses the money to invest in a company that employs people, providing them incomes.
                              Still a bank robber.

Comment

Working...
                              X