New Braunfels.... do not stay here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Braunfels.... do not stay here

Consider this a public service announcement and also I'm keeping the promise that I made to the hotel, about telling everybody I know not to stay there.

If your in New Braunfels do yourself and family a favor and do not stay at the Wingate by Wyndham off of FM 306 across from the new HEB Plus. Its also across the highway from the Buc-ee's.

Over the weekend my truck got broken into and they made off with some pretty valuable stuff. Talking to the police, that hotel has a break in every 2 weeks. I stayed there about a year ago and a car was broken into that morning. The hotel has absolutely no cameras or security measures at all. The only cameras are in the hallways and in the lobby. I've called the hotel earlier to request the contact information for the company that actually owns the franchise, but they wouldn't give it to me. So later this evening I'm going to contact the actual Wyndham corporate office.

For a hotel to experience this much crime and refuse to do anything to protect its customers is not acceptable to me. So please do alittle research as to where you are staying and skip this place next time your in town.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Man ... that's not where I saw this going.

I'd have swore the "lesson" would be to not leave valuable stuff in your truck, in a hotel parking lot.

Comment

Sounds a lot like the Fishing Tackle Unlimited on Fuqua in Houston. They have had a auto burglary issue for years and are well known for it yet refuse to put cameras up.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          Man ... that's not where I saw this going.

I'd have swore the "lesson" would be to not leave valuable stuff in your truck, in a hotel parking lot.
          x2 on the above.

Comment

I'd have swore the "lesson" would be to not leave valuable stuff in your truck, in a hotel parking lot
            Only took 2 post...... hey you shouldn't leave expensive things in your house either, it might get broken into.

Its the victim to blame, not the criminal

When a hotel can simply put up a camera and can capture a picture of a vehicle driving in and out of the parking lot, they should do that. Especially when they experience such high crime rates. This hotel also does not do background checks on its employees who handle credit card and driver license information.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
              Only took 2 post...... hey you shouldn't leave expensive things in your house either, it might get broken into.

Its the victim to blame, not the criminal

When a hotel can simply put up a camera and can capture a picture of a vehicle driving in and out of the parking lot, they should do that. Especially when they experience such high crime rates. This hotel also does not do background checks on its employees who handle credit card and driver license information.
              I'm not blaming the victim. I hate a **** thief just as much as the next guy, but with crime running rampart, EVERYWHERE, I try to stack the deck in my advantage. I don't put ANY stickers on my truck; I don't want to signal to anyone that I'm a hunter and there might be a nice gun in here. I keep my guns in a safe at home, and you do have the choice to put up cameras at your house.

It sucks that your truck got broken into, and it sucks even worse that they stole some expensive stuff in the process. But to blame the hotel is a little far fetched. Even if there were cameras, do you think the thief would be caught and you'd get your stuff back?

Just to prove that I'm not hating on you, I'm going to boycott the whole city!

Comment

New Braunfels used to be a good place, but the urban sprawl from San Antone and Austin took its toll on the little town. I reckon like most places near big town.

Comment

Parking lot security cameras do almost nothing. They really just time stamp when the crime actually occurred and maybe show you how many there were. The cameras do next to nothing to assist with identifying the perps. Whether you want to believe it or not, surveillance cameras in parking lots are little deterrence for most thieves.

The only way to really curb vehicle break-ins is on-site security walking the parking lot 24 hours a day. Or perhaps local PD can conduct sting ops and/or patrol more often.

With that said, cameras or no cameras, security or no security, don't leave valuables in your vehicle over night at a hotel. It sucks, but I'm sure not only does the hotel have signs posted as such, it's probably written in the agreement signed for the room.

Thanks for the heads up on the place. It's sad one can't leave items in their vehicles overnight.

This happens even at 5 star hotels that have gated parking garages.

Comment

While I'm sorry for your loss - It absolutely sucks.

Not sure how blaming the hotel makes sense. Had a car broken into on my first stay, I'm not going to stay there again.

Good luck going forward.

Comment

It sounds like a textbook definition of 'negligence' if not 'gross negligence' on the part of the hotel - they knew or should have known of the risk.
                      You should also go to as many of the travel websites as possible to post your experience about the hotel, along with Yelp, etc.
                      It amazes me when I see hotels built in my hometown in areas of high crime or areas I wouldn't want to be at night. That makes me realize how that is exactly what happens in cities everywhere - but I don't realize that when I make reservations. Most easily accessible sites along major thoroughfares are NOT in the best areas of town.

Comment

Thieves

The I-35 Corridor is a jack pot for the thieves. Law enforcement can do very little unless they actually catch them at the time they are doing it. Being on I-35 they leave their local jurisdiction run a few counties up or down I-35 and steal, then jump on I-35 and they are off back to their home.. The local authorities where they live is away from where the Crime was actually committed.

Along with a friend, we traced a thief all the way from Austin to his house in San Antonio with a cell phone. Calling each jurisdiction as he stopped along the way. Then watched him walk up and down on the phone in front of his house in San Antonio. San Antonio police said the crime occurred "outside their jurisdiction" and would not attempt to assist. Thieves have almost a free shot at your stuff. Your only option is too take stuff in at night and leave nothing in a vehicle that is in sight or that can be stolen.

Comment

I’m in the San Antonio area almost weekly and have stopped using hotels in SA or any of the surrounding cities. My opinion is to just stay away. Look at Bass Pro in SA. They have security in the parking lot and still get break ins on a regular basis.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't matter who's fault it is. If break in's are occurring on a regular basis I would avoid that hotel. I travel all over for work and have had my truck broke into once. I have never been back and I won't go back. In hindsight the location was not the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                              Thieves have almost a free shot at your stuff. Your only option is too take stuff in at night and leave nothing in a vehicle that is in sight or that can be stolen.
                              What he said^^^

To the OP, sorry you lost your valuable stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X