Tankless Water Heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tankless Water Heaters?

Has anyone switched their house to a tankless gas water heater? If so do you like it? Does it work well? What brand/size did you use? About to replace my water heater while I'm doing everything else after the flood and it is old I'm wanting to go with the tankless but wanted to get some info first.

Yes we have Noritz and Rinnai in our house, they work great, I think having them on Gas is the way to go if you are moving to Tankless...
    I would never go back to old school hot water tanks after having these for the last year...

Comment

best $$$ you'll ever spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Loanman View Post
        Yes we have Noritz and Rinnai in our house, they work great, I think having them on Gas is the way to go if you are moving to Tankless...
        I would never go back to old school hot water tanks after having these for the last year...
        Why do you have 2?

Comment

Friend has one, understand from her they are very expensive to repair.

Comment

Most people think they are going to get hot water to there faucets faster with one, not true. Also every time you turn the hot water on, even to rise a cup, you fire up the water heater. Which is lot more btus then a standered. They do not run out of hot water ( biggest benifit) but if you are running several appliances, showers. The flow diminishes sometimes to a great degree. The riquire more maintance, cost more to buy, and have the same warranty as a standered tank. Much more electronics on them, so we have more service calls on them , again more money. So if you need to fill a very large tub, have a lot of people taking showers one right after the other there good for that. ( but you do pay for it) or need it to fit in a small space they are good for that also. But I believe most will be better served bu a standered tank, or two twined together.

Comment

We installed a Navien a few years back, the warranty is awesome and stands up great with the crappy water we have here in Katy area.

Discover high-efficiency tankless gas water heaters in condensing & non-condensing models, providing endless hot water on demand and lower gas utility costs.

Comment

We love ours!! It has handled our hard water for a couple years now with no problems.

Comment

my house had one when we bought it. Rinnai is the brand i believe. it's a whole house tankless system. works well! just can't be taking a shower and washing a load of laundry with hot water at the same time.... pressure drops quite a bit.
                  it has not been an issue for us. Wife loves it as we have a HUGE tub and it fills it up without ever having cold water.

Comment

In for the info. Our tank is in the garage and in this cold weather it has been kickin on pretty often to maintain hot water. We dont use that much hot water and I'm thinking one of these could possibly be cheaper to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                      Most people think they are going to get hot water to there faucets faster with one, not true. Also every time you turn the hot water on, even to rise a cup, you fire up the water heater. Which is lot more btus then a standered. They do not run out of hot water ( biggest benifit) but if you are running several appliances, showers. The flow diminishes sometimes to a great degree. The riquire more maintance, cost more to buy, and have the same warranty as a standered tank. Much more electronics on them, so we have more service calls on them , again more money. So if you need to fill a very large tub, have a lot of people taking showers one right after the other there good for that. ( but you do pay for it) or need it to fit in a small space they are good for that also. But I believe most will be better served bu a standered tank, or two twined together.
                      Most of that depends on whether you have a point of use, or whole home system.

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      best $$$ you'll ever spend.
                      This guy lived in a house with 5 women, so.....

Comment

I replaced a 40 gal tank with a Rinnai 8 years ago. I also put in a gas dryer the same month. Ive lived in this home for nearly 30 years the last 13 with kids. I have received gas bills in the teens shortly after install. I did have to replace the gas line. Now that everyone knows there is no limit to the hot water gas bill is slightly higher but saves money monthly. Check your gas line these things are hogs when on I don't think a 1/2 inch will work. If you can install on exterior wall that will save you some money the vent pipe is or was expensive. I have seen some that have a battery backup 9 volt or AA incase of a power outage.
                        Last edited by 686PPP; 01-04-2018, 08:18 AM. Reason: .

Comment

...Also every time you turn the hot water on, even to rise a cup, you fire up the water heater. Which is lot more btus then a standered.....
                          So you're saying that it burns more gas/electricity to have one fire up when you need it as opposed to a standard, thermostatically controlled unit that ALWAYS keeps the tank water hot?

Comment

x2

Matt Risinger (a builder out of Austin on Youtube) has done a couple videos on this whole topic. Just a couple last week which I thought would be very helpful here:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread, but along the same lines. If we do not have gas be it co-op line or private tank, do they make the tankless in electrical only? I realize the danger of only being able to use electricity as when it fails- EVERYTHING goes- but if these units use as much gas as it sounds, what would they do to an electrical bill, considering it sounds as thought the actual unit never shuts off?

Comment

Working...
                              X