First DSLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First DSLR

Got a Nikon D3300. I've only played with it so far. I got the book, "How to Create Stunning Digital Photography." Any other books or online areas I should look at to learn how to get the most out of my camera?
    Attached Files

nothing beats just taking pictures. Get a good editing software and then shoot shoot shoot.

Comment

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

^^^ The book I found most helpful.

Have also given it as a gift to beginning photographers. Very straight forward and easy to understand. Understanding the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and how each affects the image is probably the most important yet misunderstood aspect of photography for beginners.

Edit: The above link is to the 4th Edition, which is actually a pre-order to be released on March 15th. (So no reviews.) Here are the reviews for the 3rd Edition....

Last edited by Snakelover; 01-25-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I bought this camera also - following!

Comment

Thinking of buying this, but there sure a solid couple lenses for sale for a Canon here now

Comment

Take thousands of pictures, don't need a book to figure it out. haha.

I mostly watched youtube videos and experimented.

Comment

Ill second the Bryan Peterson recommendation!

I have a few that he's done, "Understanding Exposure" and "Understanding Composition" really helped shorten the learning curve for me and I've lent them to several family members/friends who would say the same thing!

Comment

I did get the Understanding Exposure book and How to Create Stunning Digital Photography. I actually like the digital photo book more. Both have been very helpful. We are planning a trip to Big Bend over spring break so I hope to get busy with the pics then.
                So far I'm really liking this camera. It is a HUGE jump up from my Nikon point and shoot.

Comment

I know I crowded this pic on the left but I love the detail this camera gives. I shot this in full auto mode, but I'm staying in aperture priority mode most of the time now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just got my intro D3300 yesterday. Time to click away. Sons basketball game tonight, should be fun

Comment

D3300

Also shooting a D3300. Took a few pictures from deer lease.
                      Still learning but these came out pretty good.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Twins
                        Attached Files

Comment

This was from about 50 yards with a Tamron 70-300 using auto focus.
                          Attached Files

Comment

There are a lot of books at the library and on line to learn basics from. The thing I learned way to late was what all you could do with RAW files. It's like taking pictures with film and being able to so much with the negative. Read your camera manual, use the software that came with your camera and look into shooting pics in the RAW format. Big files, but it is well worth it for what you can do. SD cards are cheap, so are usb drives to store your files. You can even down load Photoshop CS2 for free. Cameras can be more addicting than guns or bows, so be careful. Have fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                              Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

^^^ The book I found most helpful.

Have also given it as a gift to beginning photographers.
                              Very straight forward and easy to understand. Understanding the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and how each affects the image is probably the most important yet misunderstood aspect of photography for beginners.

Edit: The above link is to the 4th Edition, which is actually a pre-order to be released on March 15th. (So no reviews.) Here are the reviews for the 3rd Edition....

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...5SZNM38JCA4WEX
                              I'll pm you my address and await my gift. Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X