Thoughts on the 280 remington round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 150class View Post
    Wanting to do a custom build and want to build something for medium to a little bit larger game like Pronghorn, Muledeer, and elk. Read mostly good things about the round but it seems about 60/40 for it being use on elk inside of 250-300 yards with 60% being in favor.

What are y'all's thoughts?

The finished build will be roughly 6.5 pounds so I initally thought of a 300 win mag but worried about how significant the recoil would be for a lighter gun like that.

Thanks for the info fellas
    The 40 percent of folks think anything below 30 caliber is too small. Guy I work with took his son elk hunting in New Mexico and his son dropped one in its tracks with a 243. There is also a YouTube video of a woman dropping one with a 243 at 688 yards using 105vld berger bullets. In my opinion any 25, 6.5, 277, or 284 would be ideal for what you are wanting to do. Many moose have fallen to a 6.5 so I doubt you would have any problems with a 280 or 280ai or even 7mm-08.

Comment

Go with the 280 AI. You won't regret it. Love mine .

Comment

Thoughts on the 280 remington round?

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
        Go with the 280 AI. You won't regret it. Love mine .

Love mine too and it loves the factory Nosler 140 Accubond's I got for brace. Only reason I'm going to load for it is to get a few more FPS.
        Last edited by bboswell; 12-27-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I'm not really familiar with the .280 and .280 AI so I'm no help.
          Being the gun is goin to be so light you could put a muzzle break on it if you go with the 300 win mag. I threaded the barrel on my 270 because I was doin a lot of bench shooting and it was light and it would jump about 2-3 inches off the bag. One shot isn't so bad. Just remember some plugs cuz it's LOUD!

Scott

Comment

My next bolt gun will be 280AI

Comment

Well looks like 280ai is strongly favored!

Comment

Im starting a 280AI build the ballistics are great.

Comment

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    Nope the AI is getting more popular too...

Heath is selling this gun for his recent off the shelf 280AI & PM'd me about it & said it was lights out with the Nosler Accubonds.

You will love it.

As Paul stated, I ordered the Kimber 84L mountain ascent in 280 AI back in may. I just got it a couple weeks ago. ( can be bought right now on gunbroker but, I got a better deal from a buddy and didn't mind the wait). I have ordered dies as I DO reload but in the meantime, bought some Nosler custom 140 gr accubonds off the shelf at cabelas just to be able to break barrel in and get some brass. It is extremely accurate with factory shells. I am still in shock. If I was a big fan of the accubonds bullet, I'd prob just stick with these shells. It shot a ragged hole at 100 and a 3 shot group that measured 1.18 at 300 yards. I have a safe full of rifles both factory and custom built ones and this one ranks right up top with all. I just told Jooger on here earlier that it had a spot in the front of the safe right next to my 6.5x284 which is big shoes to fill. It's so light it feels like a toy and the recoil with break is very mild. Kimber also has awesome factory adjustable triggers. If I were you, I'd go this route vs having a rifle built if that's the round you want. Even with gunbroker prices you'll still be in the same money on a custom build.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                      Any other thoughts?
                      Sure. If that's your max range your causing yourself undue trouble with something non standard. And 140's are for 6.5 cal's

Comment

Anyone have the Xbolt .280? Worth a dang? Got a guy wanting to trade me one for a .30-06
                        BAR.

Comment

I have the x-bolt. I had the trigger lightened and it is a solid 3/4" shooter will all types of ammo.

Comment

I'd say if you don't handload you might as well just get a 7mm Rem Mag. You'd have a ton more factory loads to choose from and much better availability of ammo. Performance is basically the same.

Comment

I have a 7mag and 7 STW. I just like to own all the calibers I can.

Comment

I like mine.
                                Im not a reloader and Im not real hung up on balistics. Just your average hunter.

Started out shooting hornady 139 grain sst's. Fast bullet. shot everything from coyotes, to hogs and deer to javelina.

Dropped everything except the deer. Most of my deer were shot inside of 125 yards and found after a short track of maybe 50 yards to 75 yards, except one which was around 200 when i shot give or take a few yards. That one dropped.

I found that on several deer the bullet fragmented. I have some 140 cor-lok remingtons that im going to try but I will likely step up to a heavier load. I think the sst's were moving too fast at a closer range.

Just a hunch.
                                But all in all, I love mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X