So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Kind of reminds of of when Antler Restrictions first came to Polk County. The public hearings I sat in were overwhelmingly against it. I guess they have to ask the public simply as a symbolic gesture, then they do what they want.
    Yeah but AR's wound up being God's gift to deer hunters in east TX.

Deer and quail hunting are mutually exclusive. Does anyone even hunt wild quail in east TX??

Comment

I think quail season is too long or should at least change with the population. Its been great the last few years for sure though and I enjoy hunting quail during the day. At the end of the day, Texas already has I think the longest deer season in the country at 99 and 113 days not counting doe/spike and extended MLD seasons. Are 14 more days or two more weekends really going to make that big of a difference in success?

I hunt in the Hill Country and even though Id like 2 more weekends in theory, it doesnt really matter to me. I think the reason we see more deer in late January is because theyre calming down after being chased around for so long. I dont have much heartache letting them bulk back up after the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        I sent in my comment. 91,524 people hunted quail in Texas in the 2016-17 season ( the latest year for which data is available); TP&W estimates that 900,000 hunters hunted deer in 2017. That's a ten fold difference. They don't break it down by date, but I seriously doubt that quail hunting numbers come close to deer hunting even late in the season. The numbers don't lie.
        Okay, so you didn't show up to the meeting. Did the bird hunters? What data did they present? What about TPWD? Did you call and ask what they based their decision on because the numbers you see don't add up? Do you know how many deer hunters didn't want an extension to the season?

Again, if you are passionate about hunting an extra two weeks a year, why not take a day off to go to the meeting and voice your opinion? Because those "elitist" bird hunters obviously did, and it paid off for them big time. And while people are busy complaining about them online, they still get to hunt 2 extra weeks a year.

Not to mention, they are hunters too, and we shouldn't be calling out other hunters because they worked harder to get what they wanted than deer hunters did.

Comment

You'll never be able to purge the board as long as the governor is allowed to make these pay for play appointments. Abbott reappointed Friedkin as chair in 2015 and in what I am sure is just a pure coincidence, Dan stroked a check to the guv for $250k that same year.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
            That may be the reason for the shorter season in north Texas...... those deer are drown down from the cold weather and rut. They are probably hitting wheat fields, oat fields, and edges of roads pretty heavily to try and recover their body conditions. They are easier to kill and maybe TP&W see that as a long term problem.
            That's exactly why I was against it. Bucks start hitting the feeders more consistently later in the season. With everyone shooting 2.5-3.5 year old bucks around here I can't wait for the season to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Yeah but AR's wound up being God's gift to deer hunters in east TX.

Deer and quail hunting are mutually exclusive. Does anyone even hunt wild quail in east TX??
              The results of AR is irrelevant to what my point was. It's seems like a puppet show with the public, then the powers that be go against the majority of the hunters wishes.

Comment

I don't have a dog in this hunt, because we are MLDP, but it proves that the TP&W commission are just a bunch of elitists. I'm betting that the number of deer hunters taking advantage of the longer season would dwarf the number of quail hunters by at least a factor of 10, but the buddies of this elitist bunch succeeded in squashing the longer season. We need a purge of that board.
                So basically because you don't quail hunt, you don't think they should be considered in this?

I'm glad. Truth be told I wish they'd shorten your MLD season, but it doesn't really affect me that much so I don't complain.

Comment

It's becoming blatantly obvious that most people on this site don't know **** from wild honey about quail hunting.

I would suggest if you can't kill a deer from October to mid January, you don't know that much about deer hunting either...

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Okay, so you didn't show up to the meeting. Did the bird hunters? What data did they present? What about TPWD? Did you call and ask what they based their decision on because the numbers you see don't add up? Do you know how many deer hunters didn't want an extension to the season?

Again, if you are passionate about hunting an extra two weeks a year, why not take a day off to go to the meeting and voice your opinion? Because those "elitist" bird hunters obviously did, and it paid off for them big time. And while people are busy complaining about them online, they still get to hunt 2 extra weeks a year.

Not to mention, they are hunters too, and we shouldn't be calling out other hunters because they worked harder to get what they wanted than deer hunters did.
                    Read the article that I posted and most of your questions will be answered.

Comment

And Texas already has a 4-month season on quail that we are told are in decline.
                      Right? Common sense says we should shorten quail season for a few more years to get them anchored at the strong point they've been at. Might not be that easy though..not a biologist.

Quail are hatched looking for something to kill them lol

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Except the quail hunters didn't get 2 extra weeks. The quail season didn't grow and we can hunt quail the same in November, December, the first week of January, 3rd week in January etc as you can in February. Quail season is (or should be) a mutually exclusive season/discussion and our hunting opportunity didn't grow. Deer hunters and a longer season wouldn't be preventing quail hunters from hunting quail (again our quail season didn't change) but the quail hunters are keeping deer hunters from hunting deer (our season didn't get longer).
                        Last edited by cehorn; 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          So basically because you don't quail hunt, you don't think they should be considered in this?

I'm glad. Truth be told I wish they'd shorten your MLD season, but it doesn't really affect me that much so I don't complain.
                          Uh, quail hunters weren't just considered, they were favored. Do yourself a favor and read the article in the chronicle. Then you can come back here and continue insulting people.

Comment

Uh, quail hunters weren't just considered, they were favored. Do yourself a favor and read the article in the chronicle. Then you can come back here and continue insulting people.
                            Ironic!

Comment

I'm sure the most vocal were landowners not wanting hunters another two weeks.

In my area we don't need another two weeks extended deer season. Biggest majority of hunting is done well before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by cstrey18 View Post
                                That's exactly why I was against it. Bucks start hitting the feeders more consistently later in the season. With everyone shooting 2.5-3.5 year old bucks around here I can't wait for the season to end.
                                Yep all those young bucks are back on feed by Christmas and on it heavy in January.
                                Last edited by txwhitetail; 03-29-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X