• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a Lyman Great Plains

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
      I was just going to ask the same thing, is it ?

Comment

We have to wear orange in our Muzzleloading Season. It ends today. Too many things planned for today so my season ended yesterday with my .54.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          Pelleted powder, 209 primers, belted bullets have kilt all that...
          Nah, some of us "younger" guys are still interested in muzzleloaders! Added a new .32 cal squirrel gun to the collection a couple months ago.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

I love those traditional muzzleloaders.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool and the way muzzleloader hunting was meant to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                That's cool and the way muzzleloader hunting was meant to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                Its much more satisfying when you make your own black powder and cast your own bullets. Now I just need to find a recipie for patch lube and Id love to figure out how to make my own caps without the danger of blowing myself up!!! Black powder is very stable. The stuff in primers/caps isnt!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                  Nah, some of us "younger" guys are still interested in muzzleloaders! Added a new .32 cal squirrel gun to the collection a couple months ago.

Im 35 and really enjoy muzzleloading. Not just the new inlines. It's been awhile since I have been able to shoot. But i got mine out of jail yesterday. Need to be cleaned up. I'll be playing with them this spring/summer. And will use one on a deer next yr.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

This was the end of the season last year. Sure is fun to do it with a Patched round ball and black powder.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                      That is a Lyman Great Plains. I stripped the blue off the barrel and browned it. I also stripped the stock finish and refinished it with hand rubbed boiled linseed oil.

Comment

I have heard of Browning a barrel, could you explain a little?

Comment

Its much more satisfying when you make your own black powder and cast your own bullets. Now I just need to find a recipie for patch lube and Id love to figure out how to make my own caps without the danger of blowing myself up!!! Black powder is very stable. The stuff in primers/caps isnt!

Melted bear fat makes a great patch lube. Go flintlock and you won't have to make caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                            I have heard of Browning a barrel, could you explain a little?
                            Browning is basically a method of controlled rusting of the barrel to give a pleasing brown color and finish to the barrel. Once completed it is as durable or slightly more durable than a good blued barrel.

This site is dedicated to the study and building of the American longrifle; otherwise known as the Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                              Melted bear fat makes a great patch lube. Go flintlock and you won't have to make caps.
                              Gotta find the bear first! I will eventually own a flint lock. Just havent taken the plunge yet.

Comment

Gotta find the bear first! I will eventually own a flint lock. Just havent taken the plunge yet.

Melted pig fat (lard) is an acceptable substitute, just doesn't have the magic of the bear fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X