Best Skinning Knife w/ Guthook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 13 year old son had really got into skinning deer and pigs and he’s wanting a skinning knife with a guthook. What’s some good ones to look at? I’m thinking of going with the Knives of Alaska Whitetail.

that's good choice.

Comment

Cutco

Comment

KOA have done me well.

Comment

I’ve not been fortunate enough to own a KOA knife. Got a couple on the wish list tho.

I do have a Benchmade Steep Country (it is available with a gut hook)

I like my Buck knife as well (103 skinner, no guthook, but it’s a classic)

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Anything that has a rubber handle. Not these fancy handles that are slippery

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
              Anything that has a rubber handle. Not these fancy handles that are slippery
              I have had a Gerber skinning knife w/ gut hook for 10-12 years that has a rubber handle and it's a great knife. Holds a great edge, is easy to sharpen, and won't slip in your hand. I'm sure they still make them.

Comment

Gerber gator grip if you can find them. I miss mine since it was stolen with my truck years ago
                Last edited by Arrowslinger1; 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM.

Comment

It doesn't have a gut hook but the Forschner skinning knives are great.

LWD

Comment

I know it's not super fancy, but an Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze is a really nice skinning knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
                      Gerber gator grip if you can find them. I miss mine since it was stolen with my truck years ago

Totally agree. But I will say I don't think I'll ever use anything but a Havalon or Outdoor Edge with exchangeable blades. I think they are the best thing since...forever. It's amazing how sharp they are and how long they last. Best of all no sharpening.

Comment

Originally posted by PVDT View Post
                        Totally agree. But I will say I don't think I'll ever use anything but a Havalon or Outdoor Edge with exchangeable blades. I think they are the best thing since...forever. It's amazing how sharp they are and how long they last. Best of all no sharpening.
                        I’ll agree on that. The razor blade knives are sure easy to cut up a cape though. If you’re just skinning a deer and don’t care about knicks or accidental cuts in the cape then absolutely. They are better on thick skinned animals too like pigs or aoudad. For a starter though that gerber is hard to beat

Comment

I love mine
                          Originally posted by bklem View Post
                          Cutco

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                            I know it's not super fancy, but an Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze is a really nice skinning knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Along these same lines the Razor Pro is fantastic. Not a classic skinning knife in a sense but extremely functional. The zipper blade works 100x better than any guy hook knife I’ve ever used. I’m on my 3rd season with mine and have not had to sharpen the gut blade yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'll 2nd Cutco!

Comment

Working...
                              X