Whitetail vs. Axis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail vs. Axis?

I have always been told that Axis will run out whitetail from the feeders. But this weekend I saw different. The Axis are just starting to move into the area that I am hunting and twice this weekend I witnessed Whitetail bucks literally chasing Axis does away. Like the WT buck literally chasing the axis flat out across a pasture. What has been yall's experience with this?

I’m sure an axis buck wouldn’t be running like an axis doe is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When the numbers are close ours will eat together, when one of the big herds of axis came in they ran off everything

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
        I’m sure an axis buck wouldn’t be running like an axis doe is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Spot on. We have lots of axis and WT. The WT bucks will run off the axis does until an axis buck shows up. Watch how fast the WT bucks get out of the way when a mature axis buck shows up.

Comment

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my blind and at the feeders were a few (~5) WT with one of them being a mature 8pt, the rest were younger. Two young axis bucks showed up on the outside of the pen and although they wanted to eat they were obviously bothered by the 8pt. They just keep looking at the 8pt (eating from the feeder) and then looking at each other. It was really like two young kids trying to convince the other to jump the fence first and go get the luscious protein, but neither wanted to budge. After 10min of this, no one was going to man-up and both just walked off quietly.

It was fun to watch... The 8pt was not bothered whatsoever with the axis, he didn't spend two glances at them.

Comment

im not sure but id love to have that problem

Comment

Yea I figure when a axis buck shows up it will be a different story. But I just thought it was odd because I have been to other places where they all seem to get along eating together and I have been some places where when the axis showed up the WT just eased off.

Comment

Axis had all the WT ran off of our little place until they moved on. Now I don't see any axis out there. I doubt the biggest bodied WT around would stand a chance against an average axis buck.

Comment

Originally posted by MainBeam View Post
                  im not sure but id love to have that problem
                  Me to.

Comment

At our ranch we have both under the feeder at the same time. The bucks are a bit more stand offish but both do intermingle.

Comment

Working...
                    X