No announcement yet.

Everyone meet Dixie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In addition to Water Dog...also Training Your Retriever by James Lamb Free. Read both and enjoy the bonding process!

Comment

My avatar...:.Zeke 1yr. old at 100 lbs...... pure retrievin' machine but very mellow around family. Been working him with my youngest daughter starting at 3 mo. of age. Be consistent and read those two sources. You'll appreciate those books for what they are.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Been taking her out everyday and just working on obedience now, sit and here mostly, hoping to get those down soon.

Comment

Beautiful Pup! I too recommend Water Dog as a basis for training. Richard Wolters has passed away now but his son-in-law has made additions to the original book that include forced retrieve training that the original book does not cover. It's worth getting his DVD additions too IF you want to make a finished dog out of your pup.

Above all, as Wolters clearly points out in his books, a dog that is not obedient, cannot be trained! The very first command any dog needs to learn is "NO". It all starts right there. Good luck with it and have fun! One note of caution just so you will have patience with your new pup, the ideal training age starts at 49 days old. Your pup is way past that, so you will likely have some challenges that would not have occurred had you gotten your pup at 7 weeks... be patient and take it slow. Just be steady and consistent about your training... I suggest you go buy the book, a choke collar, 7 foot heavy leather leash and a whistle (regular Acme Thunder). The book will teach you how to use them all.

Comment

She is a gorgeous Lab - you are one lucky dock er dog er - you know

Comment

Sounds like you got a good one. She is a good looking pup!

Comment

Love me some black lab....

Comment

Working...
                X