Selfbow critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbow critique

Here is my bow I'm working on its really the first shooter I've ever made. 68" Osage 45@30. It's got some weird stuff unbraced that I had to tiller for. Looking for pointers on tiller before I finish. I don't have a tiller board just working it slow by feel and trying to get it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Overall, it looks good. If you are at your weight at 30" of draw, I would not make any changes. At 45#/30", the bow is right near that edge where small changes will shed weight quickly.

If you were not to full draw length or needed to drop some weight, I would suggest your tips work more. All the work is happening in that middle third radius. That is fine as long as the limbs are doing even work; and it appears they are. I would leave it just as it is from the photos. Pat yourself on the back. You got a shooter, there...

Comment

I went with stiff tips after reading about them this is a pyramid style design. I hope to make a deep core more narrow limbed bow next. I appreciate the tips learning from books takes a bit but definitely a fun hobby. Thank you again.

Comment

Looks like you nailed your design.

Boast up a bit. You've earned it. Where did you find the wood? How long did it take to chase the ring?

Comment

I traded for this stave about two years ago and it was fairly well seasoned then. The stave was very partially roughed out and sealed. I would say total I have about 80 hours into the bow at this point but I took it very slow. I finished off the ring by scraping it with a thick knife. The tillering was done with the same knife after I used a sureform rasp to shape it. Some of the shaping I used a belt sander for once I grew a little more brave.

Comment

Idk much about selfbows, other than I am pretty good at breaking them, and that I love shooting them. Yours looks good. I hope it holds together for you. The pic in my avatar is my second selfbow kill. I used an osage bow that Rob green built for me. It is 48@29.

Bisch

Comment

I agree with TejasNW on your bow. Congrats on building a nice bow. Can't wait to see what ya build in the future.

Comment

Thank you just weighed it on my postal scale and it weighs 1.4 # one of the lightest bows I've shot. I'm hopeful that I can find a good source for laminated wood materials as that's what I want to build next. If i can't I have a stave that should make an amazing selfbow once it's done curing. I have another stave ready but it's going to be a challenge for sure due to knots and twist

Comment

The lower limb has a bit more bend at mid limb. Not enough to worry about. If you like the weight leave her alone. Nicely done . Arvin

Comment

Working...
                  X