Tattoo etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tattoo etiquette

Hey guys, while I'll be hopefully getting my first tattoo here in the near future, im curious as to what to expect. I'm wanting a mostly custom piece, so do artists charge for them to work on the drawing? Not the actual tattoo just the drawing obviously. If so, is there a general range of price to expect for this? I just don't wanna look too surprised if I get a dollar amount I'm not expecting lol. And what is standard for tipping the artist?
    I'm kinda anxious starting to plan this out and I'm hoping y'all can help out! Any other etiquette things I'm not thinking of feel free to throw em out there!

Not sure. Gots no Tatts. My friend's that have like it to a good taxidermist. Ya get what ya pay for. Make sure to post a pic. Unless its on ur ***!!!!

Comment

Don't out think the room bud! Walk in tell em what you want they give you a price each place has different prices.. An never heard of a tip I wouldn't tip someone when they already gave me a price for there work JMO

Comment

Most artists will charge 100 bucks up front for custom work. A lot of times that will hold you a reserved time and date as well as apply to the total cost of your piece. As for tipping I tip my artist around 20% of the session cost. I am starting a 3/4 sleeve next month, my initial meeting with him I paid 100 to have the art work started. All artists charge different hourly rates just depends on the shop and artist but expect a minimum of $80-$100 an hour. Hope this helped

Comment

It's proper to tip your tattoo artist, but not required. Depending on size and detail the price goes up. Ask to see their work. They have picture albums. Find a good artist is key. Don't just run into the first place you see and get a tat. Good luck and make sure it's what you want.

Comment

Price is dependent on what you want, good work will be costly but well worth it...
            Look at their work closly and look for clean line work and shading...you don't want someone that is heavy handed and uses to much black..

Comment

First make sure that you put it where you want it. If that doesn't matter to you then never mind. As far as the drawing it all depends on the detail. The more details the more it'll cost you. I would think most artist would take a $100 fee and smile. I usually tip 20% like stated above.
              Also be ready...it's almost as addicting as bowhunting

Comment

Originally posted by Chad2682 View Post
                Most artists will charge 100 bucks up front for custom work. A lot of times that will hold you a reserved time and date as well as apply to the total cost of your piece. As for tipping I tip my artist around 20% of the session cost. I am starting a 3/4 sleeve next month, my initial meeting with him I paid 100 to have the art work started. All artists charge different hourly rates just depends on the shop and artist but expect a minimum of $80-$100 an hour. Hope this helped
                This. I have always tipped my artist. For something that's on you for life, don't cheap out. I would rather pay four or five artists fifty bucks each and understand which guy is going to be the best to work with up front than finding one design I like and facing a nightmare of an artist to deal with.

Comment

I have a full short sleeve shirt done. I started out with a few random pieces to it that I acquired over time but then decided how I wanted the end result to be. Initially I told them the piece and they quoted me. The guy that does mine reminded me of all the shows on tv so I kept going back and then it turned to an hourly rate as much as could get done in that time frame and that I could withstand. After a while it became more of a friendship deal since I was up there every two weeks. Paying cash versus credit also plays a part cus credit guarantees it's on their income. My opinion is tattoos are like anything else and you pay more for good quality. You gotta remember nothing about it is temporary. I know an extremely good guy in Waco if you need some help.

Comment

as a tattoo artist i will gladly answer this question. most artist charge per hour, 100-150 per is the industry standard. usually a non refundable deposit is taken for the artwork then applied to final price of said tattoo. if i spend 4 hrs custom drawing a piece for a guy who gets cold feet i cant get my time back, so i get a little cash. when he shows for the tattoo then the amount is subtracted from the total price of said tattoo. please please tip your artist. most have a 50/50 split with the shop where they work but get to keep the tips.hope this helps a bit.

Comment

Always tip your artist I stick around 20% or so, Them drawing up your piece will not cost any extra. More detail+=more money. They arent cheap so I wouldnt expect a low dollar amount.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. This won't be a huge piece, I'm thinking upper arm and won't go below where my shirt sleeve will end, so it's not that big, I'm not sure if it is drawn up same day, or if I would come back for an appointment later on and leave it with them. I guess I'll just have to see. The deposit is about the price I was thinking but like y'all mentioned it'll be different at every shop. The reason I'm wanting something a little custom is because I want the artist that I like to have some freedom and get far more creative than I ever could!!

Comment

Get a Tribal arm band.....No one has thought of that yet........I keed I keed....

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai View Post
                            Get a Tribal arm band.....No one has thought of that yet........I keed I keed....
                            No no do barbed wire...get ahead of the trend...I keed also

Comment

Originally posted by tatdaddy View Post
                              as a tattoo artist i will gladly answer this question. most artist charge per hour, 100-150 per is the industry standard. usually a non refundable deposit is taken for the artwork then applied to final price of said tattoo. if i spend 4 hrs custom drawing a piece for a guy who gets cold feet i cant get my time back, so i get a little cash. when he shows for the tattoo then the amount is subtracted from the total price of said tattoo. please please tip your artist. most have a 50/50 split with the shop where they work but get to keep the tips.hope this helps a bit.
                              This^^

Even though I'm retired (mostly) from tattooing, this is what I did. On a small tattoo, like the OP mentioned I'd usually ask $50 deposit - IF I couldn't draw it up on the spot. If it was a larger piece, up to a sleeve, I would ask for $100-$300 depending on the work. Deposits guarantee clients return and that you don't waste time drawing something for someone that never shows up.

Hourly rates vary a lot. $100-$150 are standard but you can expect more if you go to someone that's really good/well known. You can spend $250-$300/hr. Don't shop by price. Go to LOTS of shops before you choose an artist. Find an artist with a portfolio that makes you go, "Holy COW! I didn't know that tattoos could look that good!" When you have that reaction, you found a good artist. Pay whatever he/she asks. You are making a lifetime investment on something that doesn't get a 'do-over;" so, it's important to get it done perfectly right out of the box! If you look for a "deal" I promise you that you'll be disappointed some day; and that the money you saved will seem like a tiny amount compared to your disappointment in your own decision making skills!

TIP YOUR ARTIST! Same as a restaurant. Most artists only get a percentage of the price and tipping is CUSTOMARY and APPROPRIATE. If you don't tip your artist, and you need a little touch up or want another one,, I suggest you find another shop.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X