Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how light is too light?

ok guys, here is my question:

I'm pretty short and therefore I have a short draw length. I don't shoot a fast bow to begin with (diamond iceman at around 290 fps) and because of the draw length I tend to pull heavy. right now its set at 72#

my question is this: it was set up by a local pro shop that I trust. but, everywhere I read the IBO min. is 360 grains. I'm shooting ICS bowhunter 400's that if you count the nock is almost 27". without the nock they are about 26 1/4 " @ 8.4 GPI

my question: is this too light of an arrow for my bow to shoot safely?

I shoot 100 grain heads regardless, but I don't want to damage my bow. I asked the pro shop and they said although I'm on the lighter end of the spectrum arrow weight wise I am safe and that I would have noticed damage if the arrow was too light(I've had the bow for two years now)

what says the green screen? how much do the accessories (vanes, inserts, nock, etc) weigh?

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    ok guys, here is my question:

I'm pretty short and therefore I have a short draw length. I don't shoot a fast bow to begin with (diamond iceman at around 290 fps) and because of the draw length I tend to pull heavy. right now its set at 72#

my question is this: it was set up by a local pro shop that I trust. but, everywhere I read the IBO min. is 360 grains. I'm shooting ICS bowhunter 400's that if you count the nock is almost 27". without the nock they are about 26 1/4 " @ 8.4 GPI

my question: is this too light of an arrow for my bow to shoot safely?

I shoot 100 grain heads regardless, but I don't want to damage my bow. I asked the pro shop and they said although I'm on the lighter end of the spectrum arrow weight wise I am safe and that I would have noticed damage if the arrow was too light(I've had the bow for two years now)

what says the green screen? how much do the accessories (vanes, inserts, nock, etc) weigh?
    Hell no on whitetails. Well, depends on how deep in the dirt you want your broad heads after a pass thru.

Ibo minimum and "most" companies minimum is 5 grains per pound.

Oh and with a Diamond you are under warranty at 72 and 360.
    Last edited by JW; 10-12-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I was wondering this...everything I've shot with the bow the arrow has blown thru it .

any idea on what my arrow weighs? I haven't weighed it on a scale but any guesstimate? with the 100 grain head of course

Comment

Right around 360 maybe a little under

Comment

maybe move to a little heavier arrow? or stay where I'm at?

Comment

I think you have plenty of speed--my bows only shoot about 240, but then I'm shooting 525 grains. A heavier arrow will give you more oomph IMO and for sure your bow will be quieter. Quiet trumps speed every time for me in hunting and as I won't shoot past 25-30 yds any gain in a flatter trajectory is of no consequence to me. Biggest plus is it (heavier arrow) is less stressful on your bow as opposed to shooting the minimum weight arrow for your draw weight.

Comment

Would you rather be hit with a ping pong ball going 400fps or golfball going 100fps?
              I shoot heavier the lighter arrow doesn't make that big of a difference in flatness like everyone thinks BUT a heavier arrow can make all the difference if you catch the shoulder, just some food for thought

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                I think you have plenty of speed--my bows only shoot about 240, but then I'm shooting 525 grains. A heavier arrow will give you more oomph IMO and for sure your bow will be quieter. Quiet trumps speed every time for me in hunting and as I won't shoot past 25-30 yds any gain in a flatter trajectory is of no consequence to me. Biggest plus is it (heavier arrow) is less stressful on your bow as opposed to shooting the minimum weight arrow for your draw weight.
                I have to shoot past 40 yards sometimes.

the pig in my sig was taken at 42 yards....clean pass thru

found my arrow weight, i'm currently at 365 grains. above min.

Comment

Whitetail and the like you are fine. And out to further than you need to be shooting. Keep is spot on but he also hunts all kindsa critters with different skin thickness. If I was in his position what he is shooting is what I would go with. But since the vast majority of my hunting is whitetail and I blow thru 99% of em I just stay on the speedy side. I adjust accordingly to different animals, circumstances etc. If you don't want to worry about adjustments jump up to that 450 range.

Comment

Working...
                  X