No announcement yet.

need some help/advice for short draw length/low draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like my wife is about the same size, she shoots an Athens Ibex 24.5" DL at 38 lbs. She killed her first doe last year with a 28 yard shot. She shoot Black Eagle Carnivore Ultralight arrows with a QAD Exodus 85 grain head. She got about 3/4 penetration out of the arrow. The Exodus head is a great head and flies with her field tips. We have had great success with them. The Black Eagle Carnivore Ultralight is made for draw weights under 50 pounds. Here is a link to their page. They usually ship the same day. I shoot Black Eagle as well, both the Rampage and Carnivore. Great arrows. Good Luck!

http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/Prod...30-50-FLETCHED

Comment

You're on the right track with her. She's got a good bow, arrows that are appropriate and your support in her pursuit of archery.

Definitely ditch the Rage.

I have my daughter shooting the G5 Montec in 85 gr. it is a COC, solid as a rock, and they fly well. They are also available in pink.

For your wife: find a really good bow tech, and have her bow completely tuned. It is amazing how much more efficient a well tuned bow is compared to a so-so setup. Also - some lessons with a qualified instructor would be money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by nathaniel.craig View Post
        Question: Would you suggest a heavier or lighter weight arrow? A few ideas I have are Carbon Express Blue Streak, Pile Driver, Maxima Hunter or FMJ's?
        The heavier the arrow, the more KE. The lighter the arrow, the more forgiveness you have on guessing yardage.

Keep us posted on how the wife does, hope to see pics of dead deer down the road.

Comment

Her pin gaps will be too wide if you sighted in every 10 yds. My wife has a passion with a 23.5" draw length @ 38 Lbs of draw and the pins are set at 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35. She shoots 100 grain montecs or hell razors. Make sure your wife holds low in the chest on the deer because they will duck the string. At least this has been my experience with my wife's set up.

Comment

Will do, thanks for input. Will look into the above

I have been looking at purchasing Easton Carbon ONe arrows model 900 for her. They are 3d target arrows but what is the difference between that and a "hunting" arrow as far as killing effectiveness?

I am thinking if I can get her a lighter arrow, she will have more speed, increased accuracy and penetration being pretty good with a fixed 85 grain head. As long as I can get the arrow deep enough in an animal specifically a whitetail then it shouldnt matter between target or hunting arrow... right?

Comment

you will have more penetration with a hevier arrow. it will just go slower. its kind of a trade off and you have to decide where the best middle ground is for your particular setup, target animal, and range of expected shot.

Comment

Iol... yes sir that is the point of this thread. To figure out best arrow and broadhead combo. Thanks for all input

Comment

Lucky13 thank you!!

Her dl is 24.5 should I get a 25 in arrow or longer? I'm thinking she will move to a drop away rest next year. Currently shooting a whisker biscuit. How does it affect an arrow to get it longer than your dl?

Comment

Poor deer.

Comment

Ditch the rage and go to something like a stinger. Ive set too many light bows up. Not saying an expandable wont work all the time. But its gonna cost her sooner than later.

Comment

Working...
                      X