Importing rifle from Germany??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing rifle from Germany??

Anyone have any experience getting a firearm from overseas (particularly Germany) and what the process is, at least in terms of the US side?

I am going to inherit a small but very fine gun collection from my family in Germany. It includes my Grandfather's rifles and his Drilling. I have NO clue where to start the process of getting them over here from Germany. They're currently in my uncle's possession over there but his health is not good and we're considering starting the process of transferring them now. Sure could use some advise; or even advise on where to go to get advise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pm Artos as Paul may know what steps are needed

Comment

One, I would not waste any time since your Uncle's health is not good. In the event the unforeseen happens do his heirs know and acknowledge they will come to you? I'd get them insured also. I have no idea but think a call to the NRA might get you some information.

Comment

Thanks Blake. I'll PM him

Originally posted by 16ncs View Post
        One, I would not waste any time since your Uncle's health is not good. In the event the unforeseen happens do his heirs know and acknowledge they will come to you? I'd get them insured also. I have no idea but think a call to the NRA might get you some information.

There's no family squabble about them. He has no heirs besides me. He may be moving to assisted living in which case he couldn't take them with him and he wants to transfer them to me and my mom- his sister, who lives with me.

Comment

PM brazosboy, hes imported some FINE shotguns. Not specifically from Germany but hes done it 2 or 3 times

Comment

Contact your closest German Consulate and he/she can advise you of the process.

Comment

Call the NRA. They can probably recommend an importer to handle it. From what I have been told it is best handled by someone with experience doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                Thanks Blake. I'll PM him

There's no family squabble about them. He has no heirs besides me. He may be moving to assisted living in which case he couldn't take them with him and he wants to transfer them to me and my mom- his sister, who lives with me.

I hear you and did not mean family problems. Just if something happened to him and it is not spelled out it could mean additional paperwork etc. to get everything according to Your Mother. Just another reason to get the collection to Texas. Good luck.

Comment

I have no idea how to do it but am watching this. My brother was just in Germany and I wanted him to go by the Merkel factory to order us a couple guns. I didn't think about what it would take to get them here? Post pics if you don't mind sharing. I'd love to see them. Good luck!!!

Comment

I would think you would need to contact a dealer that has an importers lic but I honestly have never dealt with this issue.

If you have a local ATF office, that is where I would start...let me know if you need some help. I just had my audit & can ask my contact if needed.

Paul

Comment

Might call US Customs, bet they can give you the details necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                        Might call US Customs, bet they can give you the details necessary.
                        Agreed

You will need to import them and there are forms that need to be filled out in advance. You may even need to provide a copy of the will or a letter from your uncle. I don't think it is a difficult thing to do but it will probably take a little time.

Comment

Contact these people.

Comment

I imported a gun back in the 90's.All that was need was a customs form.I packed it in my luggage and flew.Declared it upon entry to the US.The customs agent looked at the form and verified the serial number and that was it.There may be changes since then but US Customs is where I would start.

DJ

Comment

My brother sent several home while deployed to Japan. I have sent him a message and will post his response when he gives it. I believe he had to fill out some ATF forms and get approval prior to shipping but I will confirm this.
                              Last edited by GREATWHITE416; 11-19-2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X