450 Bushmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 Bushmaster

Anybody have one and have any insight? I’ve been eyeing a Ruger Ranch rifle in this caliber and just haven’t been able to pull the trigger just yet.

From my Make Believe World

I have a friend who bought a Bushmaster AR in this caliber when they first came out.

The only thing he uses it for is hunting pigs in Georgia when he goes down there quail hunting. He says it is devastating on the hogs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The 450 is one of my favorite cartridges.

I was muzzleloader only for about a decade of my deer hunting - a .45 caliber, 250 grain bullet at about 2300 fps. Close or far, a deer could almost never make more than a couple steps after bing hit. Bang, flop was pretty normal.

When is realized I could get that in a cartridge and AR lower prices started to come down a bit, my new lower was on the way.

I've only taken 1 doe with it so far, 110 yards and she did manage a 180 before she dropped.

I am hoping to take a couple hogs with it down that way in February. I have noticed that hogs don't tend to leave good blood trails, figured bigger holes would help - if there is a need for tracking.

Comment

I love the .450 BM. We killed several deer with it in Indiana.

Comment

I have two. The ranch rifle and an AR i put together about 10 years ago. One of my favorites to shoot. Ive taken many deer and lots of hogs with them.

Comment

That seems to be the only round on the shelf. Don’t really understand the caliber in a bolt action. Lots of common calibers carry more energy and range vs the 450. I can see it with the guys up north that have the straight wall restrictions or if you wanted something in an AR, but a 308 is a better choice in a bolt action than a 450 Bushmaster.

Comment

I've got a Ruger Ranch in .450 Bushmaster and have been using it as opposed to my .300 this year. Ammo has been waaaaaay easier to come by for the .450. So far two does, a buck, and a coyote with no issues. Not a long range gun, but have had no issues inside 200 yards. I'm personally a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                That seems to be the only round on the shelf. Don’t really understand the caliber in a bolt action. Lots of common calibers carry more energy and range vs the 450. I can see it with the guys up north that have the straight wall restrictions or if you wanted something in an AR, but a 308 is a better choice in a bolt action than a 450 Bushmaster.
                It’s in stock everywhere!!!

Comment

Already got two .308s.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

I just finished putting together a 450 Bushmaster upper. Bought the basic one from Midway and upgraded parts. You will need a better muzzle brake than the one it comes with. I put a Barrett/M1 Abrams type brake on mine and it made a heck of a world of difference. The recoil is stout. Like a 45/70. The Hornady 250grFTX bullets fly great and inside 200yds it is a 2000+fps brick thrower.
                    I have not used it on critters yet. I bought some of these and cannot wait to see what it does to hogs.
                    Federal Power-Shok 450 Bushmaster Ammo 300 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point at Target Sports USA with free shipping available. Enjoy deals on 45-70 Governm

Comment

The 450 BM is a fat, kinda ugly cartridge. I can’t describe what happens when I shoot game with mine, but it’s impressive. With a good muzzle brake , recoil isn’t bad. I have shot 2 deer, 5 hogs and 2 coyotes with mine. I only recovered 1 bullet, it measured 9/16” x 3/4” mushroomed out. Almost every animal hit the ground on impact. I have shot a truckload of game with my 308, it puts game down pretty well, but not like the 450. There is no replacement for displacement.
                      Past 175-200 yards I agree, the 308 is a better choice because the trajectory, But inside 175, the 450 puts game in the dirt with authority.

Comment

I’ve only shot a few hogs with mine, but it puts them down with authority.

Comment

Been looking at getting one myself. Ammo on the shelf is one of the main reasons.

Comment

Working...
                          X