F250 Diesel "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F250 Diesel "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" Message

I bought an '09 F250 6.4L diesel last year and am not getting the fuel mileage I had hoped. I am averaging between 11-17mpg. It now has 5500 miles on it. I have noticed lately (every other day) a message appears on the console saying "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". A buddy of mine said it is burning up the emissions to make it cleaner. I would assume this would use more diesel hence giving me worse fuel mileage. Is this a necessary component or can it be disabled without affecting the warranty or anything else and give me better fuel mileage?

doesn't sound like you're driving it enough

(I put 55,000 on mine last year )

Comment

With the "ultra-low sulfur" diesel that's in the pumps now, it's difficult to get good fuel mileage anymore. What you're truck is doing is burning the excess "soot" out of the exhaust filter. It's not using extra diesel to do this, it's an electrical burn to remove the exhaust build-up within the filter. DO NOT park out in the pasture with the truck running where as the filter gets so hot, it will ignite the grasses! I got my '09 about 6 months ago and I get about the same mileage as you do. You can't modify it (yet) but at 36,000 miles or 3 years (once the bumper to bumper warranty has expired) you can remove that filter and replace it with an aftermarket "piece" that has all the hook-ups on it. The computer will think that the filter is still there. Doing that and putting a chip in it will double your fuel mileage. I'm at 22K miles and I'll be doing this pretty pronto. When I find the info on the aftermarket product (a guy at work has done it so I'll get it from him), I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        doesn't sound like you're driving it enough

(I put 55,000 on mine last year )
        I just bought it in December I couldn't see paying 9K more for the '10 model.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
          With the "ultra-low sulfur" diesel that's in the pumps now, it's difficult to get good fuel mileage anymore. What you're truck is doing is burning the excess "soot" out of the exhaust filter. It's not using extra diesel to do this, it's an electrical burn to remove the exhaust build-up within the filter. DO NOT park out in the pasture with the truck running where as the filter gets so hot, it will ignite the grasses! I got my '09 about 6 months ago and I get about the same mileage as you do. You can't modify it (yet) but at 36,000 miles or 3 years (once the bumper to bumper warranty has expired) you can remove that filter and replace it with an aftermarket "piece" that has all the hook-ups on it. The computer will think that the filter is still there. Doing that and putting a chip in it will double your fuel mileage. I'm at 22K miles and I'll be doing this pretty pronto. When I find the info on the aftermarket product (a guy at work has done it so I'll get it from him), I'll let you know.
          Thanks Tubby. I would appreciate the info on the aftermarket products.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
            Xs 2. I had an '09 F350 and it would give that message every 250 miles. It's called a Regen kit, and it does just what Tubbs said. I now have a '10 F350 and it does it also. No worries. Just wait until your warranty is over and chip it and put a Bully Dog 4" exhaust on it and watch your mileage improve.

Comment

Originally posted by jkf123 View Post
              I just bought it in December I couldn't see paying 9K more for the '10 model.
              Sounds like you're right on track, then!

I don't know anything, I was just pushing the thread to the top!

Comment

Originally posted by BpsDaddy View Post
                Xs 2. I had an '09 F350 and it would give that message every 250 miles. It's called a Regen kit, and it does just what Tubbs said. I now have a '10 F350 and it does it also. No worries. Just wait until your warranty is over and chip it and put a Bully Dog 4" exhaust on it and watch your mileage improve.
                Thanks for the info BPS

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  Sounds like you're right on track, then!

I don't know anything, I was just pushing the thread to the top!
                  'preciate it. I'll get a pad post in here too I'm close to growin' bone!

Comment

lots of good info about your truck and mine on the diesel stop forum. I have been a member over there since I got my 7.3 and any time I have had an issue I posted up and got tons of responses many times with a DIY write up. It has really helped me out. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

Comment

Get out on the highway & go for a drive, @ least 30 or 40 miles nonstop. It will allow it to do a full 'regen'.

Comment

Sometimes it seem like some of this new technology is moving us backwards. Less emissions less milage and more fuel. I thought we were trying to get better milage and use less crude?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
                          Sometimes it seem like some of this new technology is moving us backwards. Less emissions less milage and more fuel. I thought we were trying to get better milage and use less crude?
                          I agree Texas Pride. I have a 2008 (first year of the new platform) and still only get 14 mpg w/ 53k. Emissions are 50% less but I use twice as much...... @$%#$%*#.
                          Wish I still had my 02 with the 7.3.

Comment

The filter is the DPF..When it senses less flow on the back side of the filter it will put more fuel into the cylinders to raise exhaust temps.To burn the soot to ash...That is why your MPG goes down during this process..It is not an electrical burn..After a while all that ash can ruin the filter and you have to have it replaced..You can get a programmer so you can remove the DPF..I did this with my Duramax..It only voids the warranty on the exhaust system unless you are running any kind of extra power..Check out powerstrokenation.com....They have lots of good info. on this stuff for the FORD..Oh ya without the filter your truck will sound wicked..Mine sounds like a jet engine but I have straight 4" from the downpipe back..NO cat and no muffler..

Comment

To improve your mileage, you might want to lubricate your muffler bearings.

randy

Comment

Working...
                              X