Water Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Buffalo

It all started at Hunt's Bowhunting Ranch on December 14, 2010. I was after a nice managment bull with my bow. The hunt started around 8:00 a.m. on that cool crisp morning. There were five water buffalo's in the herd, and they were in a large field just grazing. I stalked towards them from about 150-200 yards away. When I got about 50 yards away from the five buffalo's, I stopped and sunk into the tall praire grass trying to hide myself and the camera man. I knew that this hunt would be challenging, and that I would be taking some longer shots, but I had practiced and felt good at the long range shots. Once we were in place, I patiently waited for the bull to provide me a shot. It took some time, but finally he gave me an opportunity. The bull really came in close and the shot was only about 22 yards. My arrow went into his shoulder blade, and the bull fell after taking about four steps. I thought he was down for the count, but as quickly as he fell, he got right back up. In total it took four arrows, and all but one were great kill shots. The only problem was the pentration factor. I have always been a fan of Muzzy's and I was interested in the Rages so I brought both with me on the hunt. I was VERY dissappointed in the Rages. They did cut a big 'hole' but had almost no penetration on the buffalo. The Muzzy's did much better for me on this hunt. Shooting a Water Buffalo with a bow will put your broadheads to the test, and I am glad to have had the chance to kill such a big beast.
    Attached Files

uhhhhhhh Now the work starts....

Comment

Awesome trophy!

How many shots did it take?

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

that's awesome congrats!!

Comment

It took four shots, and thanks guys!

Comment

What a cool trophy with a bow! Interesting about the heads...I guess expandables don't perform as well when shot at "harder" targets. Makes sense.

Comment

Very nice trophy. That's a lot of meat for sure. Enjoy!

Comment

Very cool, Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                    What a cool trophy with a bow! Interesting about the heads...I guess expandables don't perform as well when shot at "harder" targets. Makes sense.
                    Doesn't surprise me in the least. Hunting aussie water buff or cape buff in a wild situation, folks are using 1000gr arrows, heavy bows, and cut on contact 2 blade broadheads. Not sure why folks seem to think that a deer setup is OK for waterbuffalo or Bison here in the US.

Congrats on the trophy!

Comment

My experience as well with the Rage. I they are great on small hogs and whitetail, but I did not get good penetration on larger critters...

Comment

Awesome - especially to say that you got it with a bow! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X