Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you put your corn and protein feeders together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you put your corn and protein feeders together?

Any advantages to this?
    Wondering if I should put my corn feeder and my protein feeder side by side.
    Will have my protein feeder free choice all year long and my corn feeder set at 2/3 seconds once per day

Ours are side by side.

Comment

Mine are not together. I have my protein feeders in areas I do not hunt. I want them to be as comfortable as possible at the protein feeders.

Comment

My corn and protein are kept separate. Close proximity, but I never allow hunting over the protein feeder.

Comment

I don't hunt over them either. Just thinking if there's an advantage to putting some corn with the protein

Comment

How do you kill a deer if all he wants is protein and won't eat corn? Just catch him coming by to the protein?

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
              How do you kill a deer if all he wants is protein and won't eat corn? Just catch him coming by to the protein?
              Set up in a wooded funnel/ pinch point in-between the two....

Comment

Yes I put them in the same feeder pen

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post

I don't feed protein Oct-Dec

Comment

Same pen. Most deer eat both at the same time at our place. Kinda like having steak and potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin45 View Post
                      Same pen. Most deer eat both at the same time at our place. Kinda like having steak and potatoes.
                      That's kinda what I'm thinking. Give them everything they need in one spot. I'm adding a water guzzler as well. Creating a "one stop shop" so to speak.

Comment

If I am serious about raising the biggest deer I can, I don't put corn and protein together so I can not hunt the protein. On my place I live on now, I do put both corn and protein together and hunt over them both. I do not shoot a deer in the pen anytime. I corn the roads with a road feeder and other areas to kill deer. I use the corn feeder to draw deer to pen also when trying to get deer started on protein for the first time. I have seen deer walk over corn in the road to go to a protein feeder in South Texas many times. IMO if you are only hunting on weekends or not hunting the same stand continuously then you are not pressuring the deer that much.
                        Also, I have fed protein year round and never stopped for the last 26 years now. Never had an issue seeing mature deer when they stayed around once the rut started. Deer are nocturnal due to the heat and later starting rut in South Texas.
                        Last edited by texashunter56; 01-06-2017, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Put them in the same pen and do not feed protein much during the season

Comment

Most of my protein feeders are less than 20 yards from a corn feeder.

Comment

We have 4 box blinds watching corn feeders on our place and each blind can also view a protein feeder in a different direction from 150-300 yards out. We have found this the best for viewing and feed from the Ranger like others too. Many deer have been shot on the road corn between the blind and pf. With the axis a bb using the protein feeders during the times we are out targeting them this gives us an advantage to see more. The axis are the most weary of the species we have and thus we get the least frequent sightings of them if we don't watch and manipulate the protein feeders for an advantage.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X