cows got into my protein feeders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cows got into my protein feeders!

Spent lots of money and time on building hog panels around my protein feeders and to hear that they plowed through and wiped it clean is very frustrating. Any advice to prevent this from EVER happening again besides getting rid of all the cows from my place?

The protein feeder is a 1000lb free choice feeder surrounded by 10 panels of 16' wide x 36' tall hog panels staked into the ground by T-Posts

More stakes. Also about every other vertical run of the panel, cut it just below the top and bend it out. This will deter them

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
      More stakes. Also about every other vertical run of the panel, cut it just below the top and bend it out. This will deter them
      Will try this, thanks.
      Do you leave any 16' panel not staked so you can open and close it to drive in to refill?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
        Will try this, thanks.

Do you leave any 16' panel not staked so you can open and close it to drive in to refill?

Just have one section that you can peel back about 10' to back into.

Comment

Will do. I'm almost certain they pushed over the one panel I only staked down on each end (leaving 16' of it unstable). This was for me to drive in and out.

Comment

I'd be hunting some quality beef

Just kidding of course

Comment

Cattle panels

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                Spent lots of money and time on building hog panels around my protein feeders and to hear that they plowed through and wiped it clean is very frustrating. Any advice to prevent this from EVER happening again besides getting rid of all the cows from my place?

The protein feeder is a 1000lb free choice feeder surrounded by 10 panels of 16' wide x 36' tall hog panels staked into the ground by T-Posts

We just shot and killed two 1500 lb + bulls because of this very reason. Not ideal, but once they got a taste for the protein and realized they could jump in, it was over. Tried to load them through the cow pens for the sale (multiple times) and they busted through and over the pens as well. That sealed their fate.

Hard to stop a cow if they want in somewhere......

Comment

52 inch panels.

Comment

Picture of the pen they got into

Comment

I put a single strand of sharp barbed wire along the top of my hog panels.
                      Haven't Had one get in since. You cows may vary.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                        We just shot and killed two 1500 lb + bulls because of this very reason. Not ideal, but once they got a taste for the protein and realized they could jump in, it was over. Tried to load them through the cow pens for the sale (multiple times) and they busted through and over the pens as well. That sealed their fate.

Hard to stop a cow if they want in somewhere......
                        My hero. I'm always wanting to shoot a cow every time they mess me up

Comment

We have barbed wire fence around ours... Then if needed you can add hog panels slightly lower. Deer can go under the barbed wire and over the hog panel.

Most of our hogs are gone so we ripped out the hog panels a while ago.

Comment

I feel your pain, I put out my homemade deer minerals and put some in my pens, Big Mistake!, the cows found them and completely demolished pens,feeders etc. Looks like a bulldozer went through, been fighting them off all season now. Can't stop a cow that wants in with cattle panels.

Comment

Add more panels for bigger pin, tee posts between each you have and don't leave a section opened without tee posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X