Smoking Quail Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Quail Question?

I'm going to smoke some quail and pheasant today. My question is how long do you smoke at 225 and do you marinade them in anything?
    Thanks in advance.

I would rub the birds with olive oil. Then add your favorite seasoning. As they start to take on smoke they will start to look dry. I spray mine down with apple juice about every 40 minutes. Also I brush then with apple cider vinegar and water. 1/3 cup of each when you mix. I usually brush them down a couple of times with this. Between the brushes with the mix I spray with apple juice. Pheasant I'm thinking 3.5 hours. Quail is smaller of course so less time

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero88 View Post
      I would rub the birds with olive oil. Then add your favorite seasoning. As they start to take on smoke they will start to look dry. I spray mine down with apple juice about every 40 minutes. Also I brush then with apple cider vinegar and water. 1/3 cup of each when you mix. I usually brush them down a couple of times with this. Between the brushes with the mix I spray with apple juice. Pheasant I'm thinking 3.5 hours. Quail is smaller of course so less time
      Thanks for the info b

Comment

Lean birds like those will dry out and get tough! I would suggest the injector method of marinating and check with a meat thermometer to determine length of time.

Comment

Cajun butter injected in the meat is good and/or put some bacon on top or hanging above to drip down on the meat. Keep em moist.

Comment

You must inject something into them. Quail and Pheasant are both lean tight gain meat. HOT FAST cooking is what I prefer, looonnnng slow indirect cooking tends to always dry them out. I prefer grilled, fried over smoking.

Comment

The only time smoking quail worked well for me was with farm raised, store bought birds that had been plucked. If they are skinned it is hard to baste them enough to keep them moist when cooking low and slow.

Comment

Gonna say the same...quail are pretty small and lean to smoke...I would flash grill them myself...

Comment

You ever tried to deep fry a pheasant? I did one a few years ago and it was really good.

Comment

Thanks guys. I only smoked the pheasant and some chucks.
                    I put seasoning, cream cheese, peppers and baconon them. I'll try to post some pics.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421617725.933573.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	24359061Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421617745.375690.jpg
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	24359062Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421617756.480715.jpg
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	24359063
                      Hope it turns out good

Comment

I poke some holes in the bottom of the pan so the bacon grease would leak out.

Comment

Personally I would have brined them overnight before smoking. They stay juicy!

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                            X