AC guys - Best Mini Split ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC guys - Best Mini Split ??

Looking to buy a mini split AC system for a 1,000 sq/ft cabin.

How much electricity does getting the 22 SEER save versus the 15 SEER? Just assume you live there and run the AC all the time about what would the electric bill be for each?

Also, what's the best brand overall you would buy? And 22,000 BTU about the right size?

I have a gas fireplace but may choose to make it an AC/heater IF the heating side is efficient.

Any of the inverter driven models are ok.

Mitsubishi, lg, carrier, daikin...

The really cheap ones run compressors not much different than a refrigerator. Not as efficient or quiet. I would go with the heat pump version so you don't have to rely on the fireplace.

If this is a place not used very often (where electric bill is negligible), a large 220v heat pump window unit may be a better option. Cheaper up front, more reliable, less maintenance. Plus if it dies you just slide it out and slide in a new one. They are just noisier and not nearly as efficient or appealing to the eye.

Comment

Mitsubishi is probably the nicest I've installed although I couldn't justify the extra expense above the other brands. I like Daikin overall and have sold and installed more of then than any others. I personally have a 2 ton in my garage/shop. I'd go 2 Ton, 24,000 Btu's for a cabin that size and I'd go ahead and get the heat pump model. A 2 ton inverter driven minisplit won't cost much to operate so I honestly don't think the 22 SEER would be worth the trouble. 15-18 SEER is plenty.

Comment

Mitsubishi is the only one I've tested that seems to have quality

Comment

Best place to buy one of these online?

I was looking at this one
          Mini-split systems are an affordable and efficient way to heat or cool any space. Find a selection of ductless mini split air conditioners available direct-to-consumer.

The 24k BTU 15 SEER was $1,000 I think

Comment

Originally posted by pickles View Post
            Mitsubishi is the only one I've tested that seems to have quality
            You guys run into a lot of microbial growth clogging up the blower wheels on the Mitsubishi systems? We quit selling them because they needed cleaning 3-4 times per year in a lot of homes, where other brands didn't get it nearly as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
              You guys run into a lot of microbial growth clogging up the blower wheels on the Mitsubishi systems? We quit selling them because they needed cleaning 3-4 times per year in a lot of homes, where other brands didn't get it nearly as bad.
              We haven't run across that issue with the 3 that we have in offices and prep kitchens here at the farm...1 is approx. 8-9 years old, one 3 years old, and 1 we just installed last year. All Mitsubishi's, all perform flawlessly

Comment

On a 1000 sq ft. Depending on the load of the house, ceiling height and insulation and other variables I'm not so sure 1 mini split be what you want. In my experience they don't handle heat load as good as a central Ac system does. It's great for one room design but I would imagine a cabin and 1k sq ft you have 2 bedrooms and a bath and living/kitchen it will be hard to keep the whole house comfy with 1 mini split. May look at the multi zone mini split if going that route.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                  Yes, one reason I made the move to Daikin.

Comment

I'm a Mitsubishi guy myself. I'd say that a 24k BTU model heat pump is just right for your application.

A window unit (as previously stated) would be less upfront, but the high mount mini-split is a much more reliable and effective route to take.

Just be sure that you have it mounted to an exterior wall for ease of installation and for less condensate drain issues over the years.

If Mitsubishi is too high for you, DO NOT spend your money on Turbo Air. They are, in my experience, the worst brand made.

Comment

This one for $1,028 24k BTU Klimaire
                      Free shipping and wholesale prices on our huge selection of air conditioning, heating and ventilation. We offer support before, during and after the sale, 60-day returns and price match plus guarantee.

Or
                      This one for $1,000 22k BTU Senville
                      24000 BTU mini split air conditioner and heat pump by Senville. Designed for large spaces with easy mini split installation, can be installed in any room.

Or
                      This Daikin 24k BTU for $1,800 ?

Is Daikin that much better?

Comment

Have some Mitsubishi ones at work and have trouble with mold in the blower. I would rather have a window unit less trouble

Comment

Yes the Dakin is better but you
                          Can get a Mitsubishi for the same price.

Good thing is they use a fraction of the electricity that a window unit will use. Plus the dehumidify and window units do not.

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          This one for $1,028 24k BTU Klimaire
                          Free shipping and wholesale prices on our huge selection of air conditioning, heating and ventilation. We offer support before, during and after the sale, 60-day returns and price match plus guarantee.

Or
                          This one for $1,000 22k BTU Senville
                          24000 BTU mini split air conditioner and heat pump by Senville. Designed for large spaces with easy mini split installation, can be installed in any room.

Or
                          This Daikin 24k BTU for $1,800 ?

Is Daikin that much better?

Comment

You can get a Mitsubishi off amazon or eBay.

Comment

How can you calculate how many watts one of these draws for A/C and Heat?

Comment

Working...
                              X