Water damage- looking for a 2nd opinion here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water damage- looking for a 2nd opinion here

Well, I noticed in our 2nd bathroom a brown 'film' suddenly appearing on top of the wallpaper, next to the tub. It was soft when I pushed with my thumb. Oh ****! I said to myself. There is generally some water on the linoleum floor after the shower is used in the corner, I'd thought I'd silicone rtv'd the area pretty well. Obviously not. Here's the floor kick-plate (?) removed.

When I installed the linoleum sheet good (10+ years ago), I replaced the subfloor with water damage next to the tub with the same particleboard-type board material I'd removed.

When I started cutting, I was able to get to solid sheetrock behind the tub- confirming (hopefully) that the water was coming from the floor, and being absorbed by the sheetrock, and "wicking-up" the sheetrock wall, and not being caused by a leak in the plumbing inside the wall.

Right now I'm hoping the subfloor will dry out itself. If I merely replace the wall and don't rip-up the linoleum and redo the floor, am I looking for more, future problems? The house is 30 years old, and built on top of a 3' high crawl space. Underneath, water stains are obvious in the flooring pieces running diagonally across the floor joists.

If I had infinite energy, and $$, I probably should rip the whole thing out, re-sheetrock/greenboard and tile the whole thing, frame-out and tile a nice shower stall, put in a new counter with granite top, sink, commode and lights, but...... I don't want to due to finances- trying to get on the Dave Ramsey program.

Should I put it back together and tile it all up (all the way to the counter this time) and silicon-it really well, or?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the first thing to do is figure out where the water is coming from and stop it. If you don't do that, any fix will be temporary, even with a bunch of silicone.

Comment

Since you have sub flooring I would check and make sure there is not a pipe in that area under the floor. I have never seen water travel that far from the floor up just from shower water. Even if the house was flooded a couple of inches I havent seen it travel that far. I would make sure 120% before you close it up that there isnt a leak somewhere. DO NOT GO BACK WITH PARTICAL BOARD. You should have some OSB board down there.

Pm me if you have anymore questions.

Comment

I believe the source of the water was from the shower, down the side of the tub and puddling in the corner of the sheet goods, and seepage into the wallboard. I have found nothing to suspect that there was a leaking pipe- that is the one tile I removed above the tub has dry wallboard behind it.

Alternate source B would be a daughter home from college, the shower curtain not being drawn, and several weeks of her showering and water getting on the tile and wall paper soaking it.
        Last edited by Bill; 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM.

Comment

You could easily have a leak in the plumbing in the wall and/or under the tub. Can you take sheetrock off the wall from the other side without causing too much mess? Is there a closet opposite the tub on the faucet wall? That'd be nice. Find the source of the water before you repair any water damage, or you'll just need to do it again soon.

If the valves are leaking, that water could be wicking down the side of the tub onto the bottom plate and floor as well.

Comment

you may need to seal/reseal ALL the grout.....some cleaners are very ruff and can sand away the sealer...

Comment

Cody,

Great to talk to you, thanks for the advice. Let me see if there is some anti-mold spray or coating at the hardware store, and then I'll put it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                Cody,

Great to talk to you, thanks for the advice. Let me see if there is some anti-mold spray or coating at the hardware store, and then I'll put it back together.
                Great talking with you too bud. No problem anytime. You have my number save it in your phone and give me a heads up when you get to head my way. We will set somthing up for your arrival.

Comment

Looks like that has been going on for a while. I think I see water stains going down the tub. Not sure if this is feasable, but if you can get your hands on a moisture meter, you can get an initial reading in various spots. Don't use the shower for 2 or 3 days, if you have a 2nd bath. Then test it again to get a control measurement. Then you will have to run the shower for quite a whike, being sure to direct the water in a manner as to not let it run towards the area that you have tested. If the moisture content has risen, then you have a plumbing leak.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                    you may need to seal/reseal ALL the grout.....some cleaners are very ruff and can sand away the sealer...
                    I agree, alot of water can get through the grout and run down the tub behind the tile, or it could be that the valves are leaking when the water is turned on.

Comment

This morning I used it, and was careful to pull the shower curtain over, and there was a small puddle. But then I dried everything up, and turned on the shower and let it pour for 10 minutes w/o me in the tub, and it was still dry. I think the water's just splashing out on the tile. Anybody know if there is a chemical/ product to apply on the wood before I put on new sheetrock to make sure there is no rot/ mold/ nasties developing inside the wall?

Comment

the best thing to put on the wood to kill the mold spores is BLEACH!!

Comment

What DamonJ said

Comment

Ill 3rd that. Sorry I didnt think about bleach last night when we were talking Bill. Bleach will work well...

Comment

Working...
                            X