How do you add a solar panel to a Moultrie Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you add a solar panel to a Moultrie Camera

I called Moultrie & the lady said she could not help me without loosing her job, but she did say to look on the internet & I could find info on how to add a solar panel to the D40 & I40 cameras. I want to get around spending $80+ for the battery/panel combo they have now. I figured someone on here has done it & could share some info.

we simply get a rechargeable battery and run the solar panel wire through the door opening and usually cut just a small hole there to allow for the wire. Not much to it at all and nothing more then hooking it to the pos and neg post on battery

Comment

The D40 runs off of 6D batteries!

Comment

Doesn't the D-40 have a port to plug in a solar panel? I also have a D-40 and wanted to do the same as Double Drop. My camera is 400 miles away and can't remember for sure.

Comment

The D40 has a port to plug in the battery/solar panel combo from Moultrie whish is another $80. I was figuring you could somehow wire a solar panel to the battery compartment w/ rechargeable batteries somehow. That is what I am needing to know.

Comment

The solar unit from Moultrie has a built in battery.. it runs off solar until the unit runs down then your regular 6-D's take over. I tried using a solar panel on my rechargeable battery on my old moultrie (3 meg - camera) and it worked OK as long as it was able to get enough sun. If it ran down to 45% it went dead really fast after that.

Comment

yeah forgot about that we have one of those to. Haven't hooked anything to it yet but it would seem like you could figure out what connection works in the ports and do your own wiring from there

Comment

That's what me & another guy was wondering. But would you use a 12 volt panel? That is what the battery/panel combo is - 12 volt. We were thinking figure out where the solar panel would connect to the battery springs (whichever is + & -) & wire the solar panel that way using rechargeable D batteries would work. What do ya'll think?

Comment

I hate the d battery thing. I know they where trying to get them last longer and the 6v was draining to fast but yeah I guess you would have to use a 12v solar panel

Comment

I bought a couple of the Moultrie Solar packs off of ebay for $50 a piece. That is not much more than what a good solar panel and rechargable battery will cost you. I had called Moultrie and they told me that hooking up a regular panel will void the warranty. If you do some research 6 D batteries do not equal 12 volts, but more than 6. Rechargable D's are rated even lower. I will try to post a review of the new packs in a month when I go back to check my camera's.

Comment

This was a post from Moultrie.

SOLAR PANEL USAGE ON MOULTRIE’S 2007 CAMERA

(AFFECTS I-60, I-40, M-60, M-40, D-40, DGW4.0,

AND CABELA’S MODELS CDC5.0, CDC5.0V)

Recent publications have misstated the option of using solar panels with Moultrie’s new 2007 camera line. Moultrie cameras requiring D-cell batteries are not compatible with any type of solar panel, including the Moultrie brand solar panel.

Forums, websites and publications have misinformed readers to install rechargeable batteries in order to use a solar charger, this statement is also false.

To achieve extended battery life Moultrie only suggests using the 12-volt external power port option available on all 2007 camera models (as listed above).

Moultrie stands behind its newest camera technology and customers can expect exceptionally long battery life with current use of D-cell batteries. Please contact our customer service department with any questions, (800) 653-3334.

Moultrie

150 Industrial Road

Alabaster, AL 35007

So it looks like you need an external 12 volt battery and 12 volt solar panel and the connector to fit the bottom of the camera.

Comment

My old Moultrie (got stolen... Dang Theives!!!) had a hole drilled underneath the bottom and I ran wires into it and then ran them back to the 6volt charger. This of course was the older kind that ran off the 6 volt battery. I am close enough to my cameras to go and check them at least once a week, and they use the C-Cell batteries. (Stealth Cam). If you are close and want to save some $$ go and buy a bunch of the energizer rechargable green batteries and just bring some out with you when you go. Mine last about two weeks and I have saved a ton of money on batteries!! I even use the AA ones in the kids Wii remotes and that has saved me a small mint as much as they play that thing.

Comment

Check this thread out.

Comment

Working...
                          X