No announcement yet.

RW, LW, educate me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have conflicting information being presented here.

My RW feathers unscrew my field points. Duck'n said the same.

Thumper says LW unscrews field points. jreyna920 says the same as Thumper.

Who is screwed up?

Comment

stick has it right. In the old days there were two reasons for using left wing. First and foremost was for clearance of the nuckles, a right wing fletch tended to drag across the nuckels more than a left wing. Also the turkey farmers use to clip the right wings which only left the left wings for fletching feathers. As far as flight it realy doesn't matter, I've shot both for almost 50 years now with no problems.

Enjoy;-)

JC

Comment

Frontloader, I think Duck'n shoots both LW and RW......

Comment

Well I did experience my first knuckle cut this week with RW arrows. I finished half a dozen LW yesterday, white shield cut on zebra wraps. They look good and I'll see how they shoot later today.

Comment

Wildman told me that RH helical fletch tightens field points and broadheads when they fly. And he's invariably correct

If you look down the arrow, a RH makes it spin clockwise, which if you keep the point stationary will effectively tighten it. Or at least not loosen it.

Comment

Well I tried a half dozen with the Left Helical clamp and some shield cut feathers I picked up at the shop over zebra wraps. Shot them off and on all day today and liked the way they fly.

If buying feathers primarily shield cut, who makes the best?

Here's the effort.

bushlan 002.jpg

Comment

Working...
              X