Using a Heavier Broadhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a Heavier Broadhead?

I'm really new to trad and haven't killed anything yet with my set up.

I'm pulling 49# and my broadheads are 125 gn. Should I move up in weight or is 125 gn enough?

Really depends. Someone will be along to thoroughly confound and confuse you shortly with all kinds of scientific information but your spine and head weight have to mesh. If yours does then you might have a workable combo.

Comment

Arrow weight weight rule of thumb for hunting is 10 grains per # of draw weight so your arrow should weigh around 490 grains. There are a lot of ways to get there - spine, length, head weight - and still have a well tuned arrow. With my 50# bows I get there with a 150 grain head and a 75 grain insert. That is on a 400 spine shaft but you can also get a 500 shaft to tune well depending on shaft length, your draw length and total tip weight. Clear as mud?
      Last edited by jerp; 12-02-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

If the arrow flies straight, without lots of fishtailing, you should be good to go for deer. You can tune arrows that are too stiff by adding point weight, but at the end of the day, the biggest keys for penetration (a.k.a two holes and more blood to see) are great arrow flight and sharp broadheads. Assuming you can mess around with your setup and still have those two things, heavier arrows will pack a bigger punch, but it isn't necessary to kill whitetail.

Comment

125 is very readily available and that’s why I use them. I use weighted inserts to accomplish my tuning. The more I get into this I’ve realized I like arrows of the heavier sort. Like around 11 gpp. I feel like I can control a heavier arrow better and my bow is whisper quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Arrow weight weight rule of thumb for hunting is 10 grains per # of draw weight so your arrow should weigh around 490 grains. There are a lot of ways to get there - spine, length, head weight - and still have a well tuned arrow. With my 50# bows I get there with a 150 grain head and a 75 grain insert. That is on a 400 spine shaft but you can also get a 500 shaft to tune well depending on shaft length, your draw length and total tip weight. Clear as mud?
            I'm shooting a Gold Tip Hunter 3555/500 at 8.6 grains per inch. The arrow is 28.5 inches.
            If I'm calculating it right then I'm way off on my weight. I'm coming up with 370.1 grain arrow.

So with the shaft coming in at 245.1 without a Broadhead, I would need to come up with another 244.9 grains. That would be a 175 grain BH and a 70 grain insert?
            Sound about right?

Comment

Close, here some more things that you should include.

How much does your insert weigh?

Vanes or Feathers?
              How much do they weigh?

Lighted nock or standard?
              How much does it weigh?

With Gold Tip Arrows you can use FACT weights. They screw to the back of your insert, i think it needs to be a Gold Tip insert, you can add weight up front that way.

Google Dr Ed Ashby. He's been studying arrows and penetration for like 30 years.

There's another guy too but I forget his name.

We had a thread on here in the old Equipment and Tuning forum, which got whacked in favor of a politics forum, it was called FOC increase it's got like 1100 replies.

Here's a link. It's archived you can only read not reply.

Muddyfuzzy is one of our arrow builders, there's others but I forget who they are.

ENewman has been doing a lot of testing recently as well.

I shoot a compound. Used to be a light and fast guy. I'd not even consider anything OVER 420 grains or 7GPP. Bow mfr minimum weight.

I had a not so pleasant experience on my first bow hunt.
              I now choose not to build arrows under 650 grains.
              My draw length is 31.5” and I'm pulling 63#. I used to pull 72, don't hardly shoot anymore
              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 12-03-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Really depends. Someone will be along to thoroughly confound and confuse you shortly with all kinds of scientific information but your spine and head weight have to mesh. If yours does then you might have a workable combo.
                Guess it’s a good thing I don’t shoot trad lol

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  Guess it’s a good thing I don’t shoot trad lol

Doesn't both traditional and compound use the same principles to build arrows?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                    Yes sir it does main difference is trad you need to tune the arrow. And I do this method for my compound. But a compound you can also just tune the bow to the arrow.

But for flight and penetration purpose it’s the same. Build the arrow with weight and put the weight on the front with the correct spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                      I don't know.
                      With compounds I just shot the grain weight arrow that the charts said to shoot and put a 100 grain Broadhead on the front. Always got pass through on deer and small pigs. Never got technical about it.

With trad everyone seems to be shooting much heavier arrows and for better performance on game it looks like I need to step it up a few notches.

I'm just worried that I'm too light on my setup, for my poundage, and may only wound instead of kill.

Comment

What bow are you shooting?
                        What is your draw length? No guessing at it.
                        What is the draw weight at that draw length? No guessing at it.

One thing I am fairly positive about - that arrow is way to stiff as it is right now.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                          What bow are you shooting?
                          What is your draw length? No guessing at it.
                          What is the draw weight at that draw length? No guessing at it.

One thing I am fairly positive about - that arrow is way to stiff as it is right now.

Rick
                          The bow is a Howatt Cavalier (pre Martin Archery)
                          My draw length is 28 inches but it's been a long time since I've been measured. I'll need to do that.
                          The draw weight for that bow is marked as 49# @ 28" but I'll need to go to a bow shop to verify that.
                          I got me some homework to do. I really want to get this right.

Comment

Good luck on the quest Geezy. Im right there with you. Alot of necassary hokey pokey.

I really enjoyed and was motivated by Dr Ashbys demonstation of higher FOC causing the arrow to come out of paradox much faster than lesser FOCs.

Plenty of folk shooting deer with a 125 gr head on trad gear. However like KenWood...you might find your setup quiets down with a heavier arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                              The bow is a Howatt Cavalier (pre Martin Archery)
                              My draw length is 28 inches but it's been a long time since I've been measured. I'll need to do that.
                              The draw weight for that bow is marked as 49# @ 28" but I'll need to go to a bow shop to verify that.
                              I got me some homework to do. I really want to get this right.
                              That's enough for me to work with.

Without changing anything else:
                              Pull your standard inserts, and install 100gr brass inserts.

That will put you right at:
                              9.5gpp / 460gr total arrow weight, 22.5% FOC, and well within a window of good tunability.

Just install the 100 grain inserts, and continue using the 125gr heads.
                              Adjust strike plate thickness, and nock point height for tuning.
                              Once you've tuned to good arrow flight, and accuracy, go get after it, because your rig will be much more than adequate for the task.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X