Got a question for all the DIY and professional mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a question for all the DIY and professional mechanics

I have an '86 Chevy k10 with the factory 305. (I know I know get rid of the 305) that being said I was told that I cannot use a edelbrock or Holley carb on this truck because the 700r4 trans won't shift right. I have been doin a little research online and I see that edelbrock has a bracket for the transmission cable and I was wondering if anyone has used this and if it really does fix the trans shift problem?

Is there a reason you want to switch carbs? Without some work elsewhere, a carb switch isnt going to yield much peformance gain. You can do it and make it work. Might need to rearrange the vacuum set up and kick down cable, but it can be done. 305 isn't a bad motor, but not ever going to be a powerhouse. A set of headers and less restrictive exhaust would give you better power gains without changing reliability. A small cam could also perk it up without making it too temperamental.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGasMan View Post
      Is there a reason you want to switch carbs? Without some work elsewhere, a carb switch isnt going to yield much peformance gain. You can do it and make it work. Might need to rearrange the vacuum set up and kick down cable, but it can be done. 305 isn't a bad motor, but not ever going to be a powerhouse. A set of headers and less restrictive exhaust would give you better power gains without changing reliability. A small cam could also perk it up without making it too temperamental.

The quadrajet has been rebuilt several times and it's not right. Not looking for power it's just a daily driver. Really just looking at reliability and a new edelbrock is very reasonably priced. I have always ran holleys on my Chevys in the past I just don't wanna screw up the drivability of the truck

Comment

Nobody has done it?

Comment

I'd take an old Rochester Q-jet over either of the ones you mentioned.

I've run the Carters, Edelbrock, and Holley. My favorite is the Q-jet (also a fan old the old Motorcraft and Strombergs).

So the kit is just a TV cable for a kickdown then? If you check, there is probably a linkage kit to adapt to use thr OEM kickdown rod.

Comment

I did one on a burban with a q jet it hooked up with the same connecters as the throttle body had and eveything went fine worked good

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I should have mentioned this earlier - If you really want to get rid of any and all carb tuning silliness, go for an aftermarket fuel injection (or piece together an OEM from the junkyard)

Howell, FAST and Edelbrock all make kits that can be installed in a day (there are others as well, these are what I've fiddled with). The improvements are HUGE. Cold starts are no longer an issue, it never bogs or hesitates, angles don't affect it, bumps don't affect it (I've seen a Howell run a rig that was on it's lid more than once), altitude doesn't affect it. It just works.

Comment

I'd be afraid to throw a quadrajet at my worst enemy for fear it would quit halfway there. I've never stumbled across a more maddening part on any vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                  X