Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll usually slide them $40 or so.

Comment

I usually tip 10-15% of the total cost but I'll add to it. Just depends on the total enjoyment of the trip.

Comment

10-20% depending on several factors. A lot of guides allow up to 3 fishermen on the boat; which should increase level of tip. How hard did he work? Fish cleaned and fileted at the dock? Did he show up on time? Was the trip what was expected? How was his attitude? If it's a bay system you fish personally, did he offer helpful information for you to use on future solo trips? If the day was a grind, did he put out extra effort? There's really all kinds of things a guide could do good or bad, not even counting the actual catching of fish.

Yes, I've tipped as low as zero before. Why? Guide was almost an hour late; obvious he was hung over from night before. He was an overall ***** for the most part and to cap it all off, we didn't catch much either. So yes, there are definitely guided trips out there that should be met with zero tip.

Comment

Busts his or her *** to put me on fish, provides water and ice, cleans and bags my catch equals tip. If we hit the mother load in freshwater I will help with the cleaning.

Comment

I’ve been tipped zero, and tipped almost half of the original trips cost. Effort on my part is the same every time, clients are all different. All walks of life, Some clients make more money, some save more money to hire a guide but in the end I never expect a tip. As mentioned in a post why not price the trip figuring in what I need to make...well, that does 2 things; makes me the highest priced guide on the water, and keeps many people that couldn’t afford to spend that money off the water. I usually ask their expectation aside from the obvious catching fish, and then determine what we do from there. I understand hiring a guide isn’t cheap, neither is owning a boat/charter business. To address another comment, if we are all over priced maybe grab that Capt. license, run down and buy a boat, and charge 1/2 what everyone else does. I don’t think you would stay in business very long. Charter business is a service, typically service industry people are tipped, if folks don’t care to tip that’s fine. I don’t think people have to tip at the fish market. I love what I do, I get to teach people how to catch fish and what to look for when searching them out so they don’t have to hire another guide if they don’t want to. On a side note, flounder have started showing back up, and for those that are interested my buddy Capt Dave D. out of Aransas pass has been gigging limits of decent fish every trip out. Spring has sprung down here on the coast and hopefully winds will allow us out on the water with some regularity.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was figuring 20% and just wanted to make sure I was close.

Comment

I’ve only been on a trip a few times, and it was the same trip. $350 day rate for the trip, and I tipped $100 each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                  Why tip? They are all overpriced like everything else. They average $95-$100 an hour. And they usually do 2 trips a day. Do the math. Wish I made that per day. B realistic guys.
                  Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  WHY tip?
                  Shouldn't the guide price his services on how much he think he should earn not how much "charity" he thinks I should give him?

I hate tipping.

Just tell me what I owe you and let's move on.
                  yall sound like great customers!

The last paid trip I went on lasted 3 days with 2 full days of fishing. 2 deckhands (one that cooked 3 meals a day) and the 1 captain. I paid for 4 spots on the boat for my family and tipped the crew another 500 bucks.

Everything about the trip was that good and each crew member busted their tail to make sure it was a trip of a lifetime. Good enough guys I remain in contact with them to this day. That was coming up on 3 years ago.

That said everyone here knows boats, insurance etc aint cheap. If the guide earns a tip hes getting a good one

Comment

Why tip? They are all overpriced like everything else. They average $95-$100 an hour. And they usually do 2 trips a day. Do the math. Wish I made that per day. B realistic guys.
                    They may make $100 an hour while you're with them, but then I guess you have to consider the rest of the time that they are working for free? Fishing when they're not with clients to keep you on the fish. Going to stores buying tackle. Boat repairs/maintenance. A lot of windshield time driving around, boat storage, boat cleaning, reel repair, marketing, paying for advertising etc. 80k boat( or a lot more) fuel, etc. Have to average all that out. Plus experience. I'll teach you to fish for free lol, you'll learn alot more from a guide in a day though than I could teach you over a summer
                    Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                      They may make $100 an hour while you're with them, but then I guess you have to consider the rest of the time that they are working for free? Fishing when they're not with clients to keep you on the fish. Going to stores buying tackle. Boat repairs/maintenance. A lot of windshield time driving around, boat storage, boat cleaning, reel repair, marketing, paying for advertising etc. 80k boat( or a lot more) fuel, etc. Have to average all that out. Plus experience. I'll teach you to fish for free lol, you'll learn alot more from a guide in a day though than I could teach you over a summer
                      Don't forget insurance, taxes, and answering a million questions from tire kickers on their days off.

Comment

If the service is good, if you caught fish or if you didn't and the guide worked to get you on fish, then 20% of the total for the trip is customary.

Comment

WHY tip?
                          Shouldn't the guide price his services on how much he think he should earn not how much "charity" he thinks I should give him?

I hate tipping.

Agreed tipping blows.

Comment

WHY tip?

I hate tipping.

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                            Agreed tipping blows.

Not surprising considering......

OP....20% is a start for a good trip. For me....if it's a great trip with the guide or crew bust their asses it goes up. Bad trip with a peckahead for a guide, then its a big fat goose egg. Their choice...

Last edited by Smart; 03-26-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Fished a guided striper trip during the big flood on Texoma a couple of years ago. Guide worked hard to try and get us on fish. Caught one each. On the way back, he tried one last spot. Nothing there. He apologized and asked if we were free in about a week and he would give us this one for free. We were and he told us he would call and get us another trip. 4 days later, he called and booked us for a river trip. The four of us limited out in two hours. We had previously tipped him for the no luck trip and we tipped him again. I went first and he told me he had already been tipped, from last time. I simply told him, the boat won't run on "thank you's". Won't hesitate to use him again. The bad trip was not his fault and he made it right.

Comment

How much is that boat?
                                What about the fuel, bait, tackle, maintenance on the boat?
                                Storage of boat.
                                Repair of boat.

(why dont you own a boat and why do you need a guide then?)

Add it up.

Then add in how many days a year you can actually book.Think weather, time of year all come into play.

Take all the expense and divide it by the actual days a year they are out on trips.

Now how much did you say guides make an hour again?

Comment

Working...
                                X