No announcement yet.

How big can wild hogs get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One was trapped around Corsicana this year weighing 800ish, flipped the trap luckily it had a botom in it.

Comment

Did it have hair?

Comment

Originally posted by West Texican View Post
        Field biologists tell me that when he sees or hears of a "wild" hog weighing more than 200-220 pounds, he immediately suspects the animal recently escaped from a nearby farm. I have hunted them for years, from the Rolling Plains to the Rio Grande, and I have never seen one that weighed more than 210 pounds. That hog, BTW, was said to weigh 300# -- until we actually weighed it.
        Your field biologist doesn't know much about wild hogs to make a statement like that..

I've personally shot and weighed 6 hogs off our E.Tx property that were 250+ with the biggest one at 304.. and they were definitely not domestic or farm pigs.
        Those are just the ones shot.. we have tons of them that size out there.
        Majority taken off that lease are between 50-175 mostly because they are shot for meat, or no one wants to mess with loading/dumping the larger sows/boars.
        NO domestic/farm pigs..

Got one just a few weeks ago that has a live hunt thread on here with the scale pic off the S.Tx property at 189lbs and it was on the small side of what we have out there for big boars..

Will agree though that most of the real monsters shown at 400+ I've seen, have the domestic/farm traits to them... or have been cut.
        Last edited by systemnt; 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

This one was 7 feet long... Definitely wild. They do get that big.

Forgive me for the bad Iphone pics... no weight was taken... me and 2 other guys couldnt get him to budge. Just floated him and rolled him and we were done!

WASNT cut... had a big pair!
          Attached Files

Comment

250 and 300 plus isn't all that rare. 400 is rare and 700 is most likely a former tame hog.

Comment

wow !!!!! thats alot of chorizo.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                Your field biologist doesn't know much about wild hogs to make a statement like that..

I've personally shot and weighed 6 hogs off our E.Tx property that were 250+ with the biggest one at 304.. and they were definitely not domestic or farm pigs.
                Those are just the ones shot.. we have tons of them that size out there.
                Majority taken off that lease are between 50-175 mostly because they are shot for meat, or no one wants to mess with loading/dumping the larger sows/boars.
                NO domestic/farm pigs..

Got one just a few weeks ago that has a live hunt thread on here with the scale pic off the S.Tx property at 189lbs and it was on the small side of what we have out there for big boars..

Will agree though that most of the real monsters shown at 400+ I've seen, have the domestic/farm traits to them... or have been cut.
                I agree with this. I have seen two killed in the 280 range that were confirmed by a scale. One was solid muscle and had some Russian blood in him, he was not of domestic descent for sure. The other was just a fatty, no domestic in him either. So, Feral hogs can break 220 easily from my experience. People do typically over estimate weights on hogs, however the scale confirmed these two porkers weight.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                  Did it have hair?
                  No it didn't have much hair that I could see.

Comment

Originally posted by pickles View Post
                    No it didn't have much hair that I could see.
                    Sure it wasn't a hippo?

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                      This one was 7 feet long... Definitely wild. They do get that big.

Forgive me for the bad Iphone pics... no weight was taken... me and 2 other guys couldnt get him to budge. Just floated him and rolled him and we were done!

WASNT cut... had a big pair!
                      What did you think he weighed?

Comment

At least 413#. We have game cam pics of this one for almost two years.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          Sure it wasn't a hippo?
                          Nah. I've dated a few hippos. So no. No hippo.

Comment

Did you have beer goggles on??

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Did you have beer goggles on??
                              nah.. then it woulda only weighed 50lbs and be covered in ragin blaze

Comment

They can get big. I shot n killed one in 06 That was near 500. Yes 500lbs. My college roommate can confirm. He was with me. And our neighbors have caught and killed several that we're over 400. If they have waand, food, and cover they will grow!! I hunt on buckners creek in Muldoon and we have bigguns all the time!!

Comment

Working...
                                X