Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to make me a selfbow !!!

Hello

I've got some good friends that have offered to help me started on my first selfbow, just don't feel comfortable taking so much time from their busy schedule

Do you all know if any local bowyer offers a do it yourself bow ? I'm in the DFW area. Still have young kids so going to OJAM hasn't been easy
    Last edited by Davidrubio; 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM.

Buy the traditional bowyers Bibles and some staves. Book one will get you started

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

All I can say is I highly recommend learning from somebody. If you are going to do it over a longer period of time, somebody local is a must as you will likely run into a lot of situations along the way. I stalled out because I couldn't properly heat bend my stave and like you I have young kids and schedules didn't allow for me to drive back and forth and get hands on help. It can take longer than a couple weeks that way and I started when I had free time, but quickly ran out of that!

There are a couple boywers known to offer a package deal where you go and learn from them over a couple days. Arvin on here comes to mind (selfbowman) and I believe there are others, although Arvin would be my go to guy.... someday.

Comment

I'm ordering the bowyers bible but with my old man ADD I'm afraid I might build a walking stick. But if I learn from hands on I can build a rocket that's me books make me travel through multiple locations

Comment

Bow building is a pretty time consuming activity I do enjoy it but for the money and time buying one pre-made is a bargain. I have about 40 hours in my latest one and it still isn't half as good as what Arvin makes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
            Bow building is a pretty time consuming activity I do enjoy it but for the money and time buying one pre-made is a bargain. I have about 40 hours in my latest one and it still isn't half as good as what Arvin makes.

Saving money for Arvin's bows. Shot one at Cowtown absolutely is the best bow I have shot.

But still want to make one

Comment

Took my first class from Johnny Beecroft then learned a few tricks from Lonnie Dye and some others. Seen one of Arvins bows it was nice for sure. Gonna be taking a class with Carson at Echo Archery in OR. next month.

Ill be in Granbury/DFW area next Wed April 26 for about a week or so. Ill help however i can, i love talking primitive bows and meeting fellow bowyers. Im not an expert or anything, just a disciple of the stick bow. Heres one i just finished yesterday for a co-worker to hunt Mullies with this season here in WY. Ill add a leather grip and she will be done.
              Attached Files

Comment

You have to be able to accept failure also! Almost every selfbower I know all say that when you first start, you will build a few that will fail. It's part of the learning curve.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  You have to be able to accept failure also! Almost every selfbower I know all say that when you first start, you will build a few that will fail. It's part of the learning curve.

Bisch
                  yes that is something I have been told, good thing we always have some extra bows that will make us warm and continue onto the next one.

Comment

If you ain't breakin you ain't makin. Start with hickory. Just go with it! You'll learn as you go. A good place to start is Primitve Archer.com. Watch the videos from twisted stave media. Clay Hayes breaks it down pretty good. Also when looking on trad forums listen to what George Tsoulukas has to say. I learned a lot from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthumper View Post
                      If you ain't breakin you ain't makin. Start with hickory. Just go with it! You'll learn as you go. A good place to start is Primitve Archer.com. Watch the videos from twisted stave media. Clay Hayes breaks it down pretty good. Also when looking on trad forums listen to what George Tsoulukas has to say. I learned a lot from him.

Watched Clay's videos last night he really goes into a lot of details.

Comment

I have an osage stave I am working on now, due to a couple of errors on my part, I think it will fail at some point.
                        But for now I am still at it.
                        Rowlett, Keller, I am in Carrollton, seems like we could have a get together.

Comment

Working...
                        X