Smoked Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheese

Sorry no pics. Last night I decided to try my hand at smoking cheese, no I did not roll it :-)
    I took a 1/2 block of pepper jack and put it on my grill. Heated 3 or 4 briquets and placed them on the far side of the grill. Took some oak wood chips that I had soaking and placed them on the briquets and closed the door. This is called cold smoking. No heat, just smoke. I left the cheese in the smoke about 20 minutes and then put it in the fridge.
    I am now eating smoked pepperjack cheese with my sandwhich and chips mmmm.
    Now what I didnot tell you is that I had just removed a pork loin from the pit and it was still hot. So my cheese started melting. I had to take it out, let it cool and put it back in several times during the process. It is best to do this on a cool day/night to help keep the cheese firm.
    I also smoked a full block of cheddar. The oak is strong so next time I am going to try something else...pecan. If you trim the smoke ring off it also lessens the smoke taste.

Just remember very little to no heat.

Smoked cheese is the best. Like you said, it doesn't take long. I usually will do it about 10 minutes. Take it off and wrap it in Saran Wrap. This will hold it in and absorb the flavor. I've found that if I do it to much longer than that the smoke becomes too strong(and I like a lot of smoke flavor) and the cheese will lose it's texture. That reminds me, I need to get a block of sharp cheddar for the lease next week.

Comment

Working...
    X