Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks plenty stout.

I gave the pig saddle a decent stability a little while ago. Up here in the Panhandle the wind is blowing 20-25 mph today. I took a seated position, using the pig saddle, and shot right at a 1.5", 4-shot group at 200 yards. It is hard to see in that picture because it has been a while since I painted my steel, but there are 3 shots in less than an inch, and then one out just a bit by my finger. Pretty happy with that kind of group on a day like this, not prone or on a bench.

Comment

Both

Comment

Originally posted by Gradams View Post
        Both

I might just do that. I ordered the Hog Saddle and their sling. Once I get a new tripod, I may get the Pig Saddle for holding my range finder on a lightweight tripod - for ranging long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pig saddle doesn't close far enough to hold a Leica 1600 without something to take up the slack. I tried that Sunday afternoon.

Yesterday evening my son shot a doe at 540 yards off my Pig Saddle setup using my 6.5 Creedmoor. Flat smoked her.

Comment

I've got the Pig Saddle mines made of metal (someone mentioned poly). I've handled the Hog Saddle and went with the Pig. The Pig Saddle is all one would need for hunting or range shooting, I would get the Hog if I was going to use it for a deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Yes KC Hunting, that is exactly the one I have. The ball head I have is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3262, but it is not the QR version you see a lot of if you google it. The ball head is working OK for me so far, but is probably the weakest link in the system. If I was buying one, I would go ahead and get a large and not medium rated ball head. Not that much more money in the grand scheme of things, but would be more solid. I may end up upgrading mine.

Well, I changed a picture in photobucket yesterday, now the TBH website won't let me go back into my post and update the link. So this is the picture that is missing from my earlier post...

So the ones I am looking at have the 3262 ball head

What's the number of the large rated ball head? And how much would it be to just change out the ball head?

Comment

I don't know on that, you will just have to look around and see what you find. 3262 is what I had already, so I used it. If I was buying one now though I would find one rated for minimum 20 lbs, preferably 30+.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                  What's the number of the large rated ball head? And how much would it be to just change out the ball head?
                  Manfrotto Mod 168 Large Ball head
                  The head will run you $50-$60
                  FYI: it's got a 3/8 screw instead of 1/4", so you may need an adapter.
                  Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

In for a penny, in for a pound. Lol.

The Hog Saddle wouldn't work with the fluid head on my Manfrotto tripod. That was a bummer. Well, within a couple days I had gotten some great tips for putting clients on good deer and I splurged. I bought a PRST carbon fiber tripod (4.1 pounds) and a Sunwayfoto XB-52DL ball head that's only 3.5" tall and rated to 132 pounds. All this happened after I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Josh Stabler (inventor) talking shooting. I'm a sucker for veterans that are passionate about shooting! Lol! Arrives by end of business tomorrow. [emoji847]

Comment

Oh man, you are making me jealous with my po-boy setup...

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        Oh man, you are making me jealous with my po-boy setup...

At least you're not a po-boy BECAUSE of your setup!! Lol

The saving grace is that I'll be able to deduct it as equipment cost. Small consolation though. I'm hoping it does arrive tomorrow and that I get a chance to test it on some management deer at a buddy's place this weekend. I'll post some pix, though.

Comment

Hog Saddle or Pig Saddle?

Well, the big brown truck arrived and brought goodies. Too bad I'm sick as a dog - posting this from the Dr's office. Not sure when I'm going to feel up to shooting but here's a couple pix of the new setup:

I think I'll be replacing the stock on that CTR - the shape is not very conducive to being held in a vice. Never really cared for that stock anyway so this may be the excuse to get a McMillan Game Warden for it.

I figure I'll do a review but should I start a new thread for that? It might be easier for people to find if I do a new one. What's the normal protocol?

Last edited by Horitexan; 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

That looks awesome. Yeah I would start a new thread.

Comment

How did you get that in the doctors office? [emoji848][emoji23]

Comment

I haven't shot with any of them but the reaper rest from kopfjager industries looks like it be more stable on the rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X