2017...Wichita Falls and surrounding counties Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally headed West!
    Gonna leave after work today and will be there thru next Wednesday.

Goal #1 is to get everything I need to eat and fix stuff before I leave Wichita. So I never have to open the front gate and leave the lease until next Wednesday.

Goal #2 Eat, sleep and hunt as much as possible.

Goal #3 Not to work on anything at all!

Goal #4 Get some good pictures and video this year.

Goal #5 Have a chance at a 160 or better. Bow first, gun second.

Safe travels to everyone going out and good luck to all!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      Finally headed West!

Goal #1 is to get everything I need to eat and fix stuff before I leave Wichita. So I never have to open the front gate and leave the lease until next Wednesday.

Goal #6...keep fellow bowhunters on green screen up to date on rut activity.[emoji3]

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
        Goal #6...keep fellow bowhunters on green screen up to date on rut activity.[emoji3]

10-4 our cell service is sketchy. I will keep it as up to date as I can

Comment

Going to try and make it out Saturday through Monday, we see, will honk as I pass by.

Comment

Hey guys, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Decided to finally go thru the dreaded steps of registering and whatta ya know it was pretty simple. And to think I coulda been throwing my opinions around a long time ago! I'll ease into it tho and start with a question for you guys who hunt my neck o the woods. What phase of the rut are you guys seeing right now in Wise county? I saw a few small bucks tailing does towards end of October but nothing really since other than dead deer all along the highway which generally points to heavy chasing but I haven't actually seen it yet. Anyone out there actually witnessed the big boys on the prowl?

Comment

Finally headed West!

Sounds like you have your priorities in order David, if I can venture you out to Merns cafe breakfast is on me but good luck to you! Rattler was killed on Tuesday so beware they are still sround!

Comment

Originally posted by Borrowedtime View Post
                Hey guys, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Decided to finally go thru the dreaded steps of registering and whatta ya know it was pretty simple. And to think I coulda been throwing my opinions around a long time ago! I'll ease into it tho and start with a question for you guys who hunt my neck o the woods. What phase of the rut are you guys seeing right now in Wise county? I saw a few small bucks tailing does towards end of October but nothing really since other than dead deer all along the highway which generally points to heavy chasing but I haven't actually seen it yet. Anyone out there actually witnessed the big boys on the prowl?
                Great to have you join the crew here. Our guys out tonight says in on like donkey kong. No big boys yet. Need some colder weather. Chime in anytime brother.

Comment

Wichita county between Holliday and Iowa Park, small bucks chasing not much action from the mature bucks. I expect this cold front coming through tomorrow to get some action going with the mature bucks. It's pretty typical for the week of thanks giving to start getting some action.

Comment

[QUOTE][/Great to have you join the crew here. Our guys out tonight says in on like donkey kong. No big boys yet. Need some colder weather. Chime in anytime brother.]

[QUOTE][/
                    Wichita county between Holliday and Iowa Park, small bucks chasing not much action from the mature bucks. I expect this cold front coming through tomorrow to get some action going with the mature bucks. It's pretty typical for the week of thanks giving to start getting some action.
                    JTCowpoke is online now Report Post ]

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just coming off my last week of vacation for the year and spent the whole week hunting. Really didnt see much but sounds like maybe the best is yet to come. I usually schedule my vacation for the 2nd week of November and hit it just about right but didn't happen for me this year. Oh well, Guess it's back to hunting weekends and hope it times out right for some good chasing on my days off.

Comment

My son saw a big bodied deer this morning with his nose to the ground. I hunted the same stand this evening and saw 4 doe and no buck with them.

Comment

Finally headed West!

It was a fast few days at the place. Had lots of good times with the boys and saw lots of critters. I am trying to make it a point to video as much as I can this year. I really suck at it, but that's ok too.

Checking my goals list for the week. Goal #1...Nope, Goal #2...Yes, Goal #3...heck NO, Goal #4...Yes, Goal #5...No but got close!

I am going to try and figure out how to get the videos put together and posted here. I shot two hogs and a coyote on video. One of the hogs had the biggest cutters I have ever seen out there. They were sticking out of his mouth 2-4 inches. I also got really cool video of a bobcat right by camp. I also got video on a 145 inch, 10 point that looks like it was taken during an earthquake. I saw a young broke off 10 that will be a good one. A flock of turkeys and a pack of javelinas. We have at least 60, first year spikes and forked horned baby bucks. It is crazy how many we have seen.

We were driving back from putting up a feeder pen and saw a really nice 10 point checking another feeder pen at 1PM. He was at 75 yards and could care less if we were there. He would be pushing 155. All I had was my rifle at the time. His 3 inch brow tines saved him from some lead poisoning. If I was setting in my bow blind at that time he most likely would have gotten a case of Easton fever!

The bigger bucks were starting to stir up. We had a guy shoot a 155 inch 12 point yesterday while he was chasing does.

I hope we get a week of hard freezes and it makes the whammers come out of the thick stuff. It is really dry and dusty at our place for sure. We could use some rain to get the wheat going and settle all the dust.

Comment

Checking in from McKinney (Collin County).
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	24521496

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	24521497

Comment

Originally posted by oif2survivor View Post
                            Checking in from McKinney (Collin County).
                            [ATTACH]884906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]884907[/ATTACH]
                            There are some seriously big deer in your area, good luck sir!

Comment

Planning to head out and hunt Friday evening thru the weekend. Saw some chasing on the 19th but have not been back to the lease since. Does anyone have a report on activity in these areas?

Comment

I'm in Throckmorton county and I hunted last weekend, Friday morning through Sunday, and I saw some light chasing in and around feeders and corned areas from the young bucks but nothing serious. I didn't see one mature buck all weekend.
                                Its really been a strange season so far at my place. Hopefully some cold weather will move in soon and I will start seeing some of our mature bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X