New Skinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Skinner

The blade is a Russell Green River blade i picked up from a local knife supply.
    The handle is made with white oak from my brother's place in Kentucky.
    This weekend i cut the slab up into 1×5 inch blanks and put it all together to make a decent skinner in time for this season.
    I also picked up some leather at hobby lobby for a basic sheath.
    This is not something i normally make so all comments and critiques are welcome. Id like to make one for my bother as well so im looking for ways to improve.
    Attached Files

Nice

Comment

That's pretty dang cool! Wish I was crafty and had some sort of imagination

Comment

Nice!

Comment

youtube is your friend...
          lots of videos to learn to make all kinds of sheaths and videos on knife making and handle shaping.

Comment

Not bad! You should consider adding rivets to the sheath 1.) at the tip, 2.) where the curve of the blade will contact the sheath, and 3.) at the top edge where the seam comes together. It's not uncommon for these areas to get cut open over time, especially without a third layer sandwiched in the middle of the seam to guard the stitches.

Comment

Great idea on the rivets! I added 3 like you suggested and it snugged it up nice along with protecting the seams.

Thank you!

Comment

Nice, love those Green River Hunters and skinners, my favorite deer cleaning knife is a Old Hickory Buffalo skinner I modified to more of a Nessmuk style knife. Just good knives all around, may take a bit of elbow grease to get a nice edge on them but when you do it is a great blade.

Comment

Crazy Crow, is your friend!! I have made several of there Green River Knives. Good company to work with. Knife blanks under $20.00.

Comment

Working...
                  X