Homemade grass killer good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade grass killer good idea?

I've been thinking about using the method where you dissolve a lot of salt into some water and use it on gravel driveways and around our sheds. Basically places where I know I will never plant there again. Has anyone tried this method? I think its worth a try because its almost free. People on youtube say it works but the people here who own and are around ranches would probably know.better.

Two bottles of salt, one bottle of vinegar, mix the two in a two gallon pump sprayer and fill the rest with warm water. I let it sit for a couple days to disolve the salt. Use it like you said on cracks that weeds grow thru and anything else you want dead.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
      Two bottles of salt, one bottle of vinegar, mix the two in a two gallon pump sprayer and fill the rest with warm water. I let it sit for a couple days to disolve the salt. Use it like you said on cracks that weeds grow thru and anything else you want dead.

If you put it on brick pavers would it discolor the brick color? As in, would there be a salt residue that would leave a whiteness on them?

Comment

Never used it on pavers, just concrete and back fence line. I'll go take a look and see if there is any stain on the wood pickets when I get home tonight.

Comment

Scared to use glyphosate?

Comment

This works wonders....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mix the vinegar , salt, water and liquid dish soap ( dawn ). mix well and spray on weeds and grass you want to kill.

Comment

Ah yes I forgot about the Dawn
                Originally posted by FIREMAN View Post
                Mix the vinegar , salt, water and liquid dish soap ( dawn ). mix well and spray on weeds and grass you want to kill.

Comment

The effectiveness of salt will depend on your soil and rainfall, couple of good rains on sandy soil and your salt will be somewhere else, also it takes quite a bit of salt to be real effective. To make 10lb brine there is 2.2 lbs of salt dissolved in each gallon of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                    Scared to use glyphosate?

Just seems to add up to $$ when used a lot. Last bottle I bought didn't go very far for 25 dollars. If I can use a salt solution for 1/4 the price I'd rather do that.
                    Last edited by Hunting4fun; 06-01-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Flame weeding is probably the most cost effective means of weed control on hard surfaces like gravel/pavers/concrete.
                      5 seconds of direct exposure is MORE than enough kill what’s growing. That’s not much propane....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
                        Just seems to add up to $$ when used a lot. Last bottle I bought didn't go very far for 25 dollars. If I can use a salt solution for 1/4 the price I'd rather do that.
                        2.5 gallon concentrated gly at tractor supply is like $60 and makes a few hundred gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          2.5 gallon concentrated gly at tractor supply is like $60 and makes a few hundred gallons.
                          I agree. The stuff I got from tractor supply was mixed 4oz per gallon. I think it was $24 for 32 gallons mixed (one gallon concentrate)

Comment

Gonna try my blow torch

Comment

We seem to always be under a burn ban so the blow torch isn't an option. Plus most of the weeds here grow right along the house. Probably a bad idea lol. We thought of trying the salt/vinegar/Dawn solution try to kill poison ivy, but I just ended up buying Roundup to kill it. It worked.

Comment

Working...
                              X