Question about pulling a 5th wheel camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about pulling a 5th wheel camper

I’m looking at buying a fifth wheel and am curious if I can pull it with my truck. Not because of a lack of power but it’s a lifted truck. The truck I have is a 2013 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax 4X4 with a 6 inch suspension lift and 37” tires. Just not certain if it sits up to high to pull a fifth wheel or if there is some kind of extension that can go on the hitch. Please school me on this situation. Thanks

Probably won’t know until you try to hook it up and look at clearance.

Comment

You’d probably have to put a lift on the trailer too. Other wise it depends on the trailer. You’ll crinkle up your bed the first time you pull into a gas station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
        You’d probably have to put a lift on the trailer too. Other wise it depends on the trailer. You’ll crinkle up your bed the first time you pull into a gas station

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        10-4. I didn’t think about them making a lift to put on the trailer. That’s the kind of info Im looking for. I appreciate it.

Comment

Flip springs over axles, your truck may still be too high though

Only one way to find out, and that is get it all swapped around and see

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Flip springs over axles, your truck may still be too high though

Only one way to find out, and that is get it all swapped around and see

I would NOT do this.

IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lower your truck and yank it

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                x2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  I would NOT do this.

IMO.

Never done it but have seen it quite a bit, seems like every other time we went camping I would see one with axles flipped

If it was me I would get a bumper pull IF I just had to have a lifted truck

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
                    x2.
                    Boooo!! Lol. I very well may have to this though.

Comment

Never done it but have seen it quite a bit, seems like every other time we went camping I would see one with axles flipped

Looking at this option as well.

Comment

There are some campers that sit a lot higher for this reason I’m guessing. But my point was I wouldn’t do that if the trailer didn’t come that way. 5th wheels are tall enough as it is and I’m betting it would severely stress the frame.

Comment

There are some campers that sit a lot higher for this reason I’m guessing. But my point was I wouldn’t do that if the trailer didn’t come that way. 5th wheels are tall enough as it is and I’m betting it would severely stress the frame.

We are on the same page [emoji6]

I wouldn’t do it either

Probably be my luck to hang it on something and open up the top like a sardine can [emoji1]

Comment

It could cause some height clearance issues and will raise the center of gravity but it will have 0 effect on the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              It could cause some height clearance issues and will raise the center of gravity but it will have 0 effect on the frame.
                              This. It’s only going to raise the trailer 3-4”, and will have no additional stress on the frame. The only change will be height (obviously), and handling. The taller center of gravity will cause to have to drive a bit more cautiously, but nothing crazy. Lots of trailers have been swapped over the axles without any issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X