Tagging deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagging deer.

I just saw a thread about tagging deer that makes me question they way I've been doing it. I've always kept the head with the tag on it in the general vicinity of the meat. It's sounding like the tag should go in the ice chest with the quartered meat? Does that mean that the head, especially on a doe, does not need to travel with the meat?

I thought it had to be with the sex organs???

Comment

You should have proof of sex. The head shows proof of sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordtough68 View Post
        I thought it had to be with the sex organs???

Comment

Yep......I've never removed a head and then transported before. I always just field dress and rock n roll to the house. Guess that shows how many heads I've taken to the taxidermist lol. The bucks are safe with me in the woods! Haha

Comment

I've always kept them together. Figure better safe than sorry

Comment

Where to Attach Tag to Deer

The hunting license tag may be attached anywhere on a deer so that it is not damaged, defaced or lost in transporting or handling. The appropriate tag or applicable permit must remain attached to the deer until the animal reaches its final destination and is quartered. If the head is severed from the carcass (body), then the appropriate tag and any applicable permits must remain attached to the carcass. See proof of sex. If the head does not accompany the carcass, then the head must be accompanied by a Wildlife Resource Document (WRD).

Tip: Remember that if the head and the carcass are separated, the tag from the hunting license goes with the carcass and the WRD goes with the head

Comment

I read that. It says the tag goes with the carcus. That's what I thought. Just have to have the other document with the head.

Comment

I always quarter in camp (we have a nice cleaning setup), and just toss the head and tag on top of the ice. Never had to worry about horns though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

A wildlife recourse document goes with the head if they are separated from the meat. For example the head goes to the taxidermist. The document is in the outdoor annual every year

Comment

So I have read the definitions and the regulations but it still raises the question of: final destination and cold storage.

Scenario: I own a ranch in TX Hill Country, I have a home on the ranch with chest electric freezers, furniture etc, my permanent residence is Dallas. I kill a buck deer on day 1 of a 4 day hunt in which I will stay in my ranch house. I de-bone all meat and cut the horns off the buck skull and dispose of carcass. I place all de-boned meat into packages and place in freezer. Horns are outside drying. Tag is attached on a package of chili meat I take to the processor on day 2. The remaining meat stays in freezer until I depart for my permanent residence in Dallas on day 4.

Question: am I in violation of any regulations and if so which ones? Does my ranch house qualify as a "cold storage/processing facility"?

According to the definition of camp processing and final destination I can't de-bone and separate proof of sex until I arrive at my permanent residence which is Dallas or a "cold storage/processing facility". So how I am suppose to take part of the meat from a quarter (chili meat) to a processor and keep part of the meat from a quarter with me without de-boning and driving home to perm residence and what part of "proof of sex" goes with which part of meat? And what if I leave the meat in the freezer at ranch until I have enough meat to then take some meat from 3 deer (bucks and does) to a processor for sausage making at the end of the season. If I understand the regs correctly I would need to keep them all in quarter form (bone on) or drive them back to Dallas de-bone then drive them to a processor.

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post
                        So I have read the definitions and the regulations but it still raises the question of: final destination and cold storage.

Scenario: I own a ranch in TX Hill Country, I have a home on the ranch with chest electric freezers, furniture etc, my permanent residence is Dallas. I kill a buck deer on day 1 of a 4 day hunt in which I will stay in my ranch house. I de-bone all meat and cut the horns off the buck skull and dispose of carcass. I place all de-boned meat into packages and place in freezer. Horns are outside drying. Tag is attached on a package of chili meat I take to the processor on day 2. The remaining meat stays in freezer until I depart for my permanent residence in Dallas on day 4.

Question: am I in violation of any regulations and if so which ones? Does my ranch house qualify as a "cold storage/processing facility"?

According to the definition of camp processing and final destination I can't de-bone and separate proof of sex until I arrive at my permanent residence which is Dallas or a "cold storage/processing facility". So how I am suppose to take part of the meat from a quarter (chili meat) to a processor and keep part of the meat from a quarter with me without de-boning and driving home to perm residence and what part of "proof of sex" goes with which part of meat? And what if I leave the meat in the freezer at ranch until I have enough meat to then take some meat from 3 deer (bucks and does) to a processor for sausage making at the end of the season. If I understand the regs correctly I would need to keep them all in quarter form (bone on) or drive them back to Dallas de-bone then drive them to a processor.
                        You can set-up your camp as a Cold-Storage facility. I know that you have a log book that you must keep, and I believe that it requires a permit from TPWD.

Comment

Originally posted by ttu1997 View Post

Here is the rule:

Comment

In awe that this is deemed as rocket science every season....
                            read the regs... ALL of the regs ... it explains the scenarios what is required.

...including MLDP..in which no proof of sex is required (no head/no organs)...the permit(tag) is your proof of sex

Comment

Working...
                            X