Career Options for Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Options for Son

My son is having a hard time figuring out life in general and I am looking for some career options that I can suggest that could get him back on track. Right now he has some time to think about life since he is back at our house recovering after being the ped in an auto-ped incident due to wisdom that alcohol imparts to people. Basic facts are high school diploma and no felonies. That means he does have misdemeanors on his record and based on what I know one of them would preclude the military as an option. What I would like to suggest to him are some entry level jobs where there is a potential to advance if he keeps his nose clean. So I have thought about apprenticeships in plumbing, HVAC, electrical, etc. but if he is interested I don’t know anything about the process for getting into one of these programs. Also oilfield work but I don’t know the entry level job titles to look for so I am at kind of a loss there as well. And, are there other career options out there that we should be looking at that would give him a chance to straighten out his life? Any help would be appreciated so maybe this kid can rise up.

Railroad.

Comment

Get him involved in the local Volunteer Fire Dept. It will build some character and responsibility while allowing him to have a social family outside of his regular one that drives good values and will help keep him straight and narrow.

Comment

I know if he can pass a drug test and get a CDL he could go to work tomorrow in south Texas making pretty darn good money.

Getting a decent job with a frack outfit actually turned my nephews life around. Knowing he would lose his high paying job if he failed a random drug test has kept him clean for a couple of years now.
        Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Thereare several schools in Texas for Firefighting/EMT amd he could apply for a grant that would pay for the entire training/gear. I still have the links somewhere in an email but google will be just as fast. Good luck no matter which way yall choose.

Comment

electrical, medical, fire fighter

Comment

The basic trades is where the money will be in the future.
              Average age of plumbers is 57.

Comment

oilfield from San Angelo to Midland is booming... Look at websites for Kinder Morgan, Nabors, Apache, etc. you should be able to find an entry level job there. Lineman work for any electric company or co-op is another good option.

Comment

Don't throw out the military option by just assuming. Have a recruiter confirm it for you and understand that all branches have different rules. Good luck!

Comment

I love being a fireman, but with misdemeanors he might find it challenging to find employment. Most municipalities take a pretty stiff look at your background. DWI usually has a 5 year waiting period before being hired. DWI and anything involving assault will more than likely ruin being a fireman. but different places different rules so if its an idea check it out! I was looking for a friend some work just this last week and was told about this websites for oilfield and plant jobs. "Indeed.com"
                    Best of luck for him and yourself. I bet this can be quite aggrevating, looking for a career. I always wanted to be a fireman but while going to fire academy i held several different jobs. Worked at TDC for two years one as a CO and the last in the Row Crops division ( farming for the state). Dispatched for 911, worked at brookshire bros as a butcher...I guess my advice is to jump on something and see where it leads? hahaha. God Bless.

Comment

apprenticeships: gaugeman. pipewelder my buddy has some stains on his records and it was a life changer for him. no drugs no fighting now respectful has a good girl, he is a pipewelder on the pipeline in tilden right now making good money and saving up I'm proud of that guy.

or if he can pass a drug test get him a CDL

Comment

If he wants to go offshore then lookup roustabout positions. That is entry level

Comment

All basic trades Welder, Pipefitter, instrumentation. Also might check into training on the software that everyone uses for scheduling and planning its called Primavera. Ive got a 22 year old kid in the office right now that knows nothing about shutdowns or the trades but is a wiz with Primavera. He will end up making more than me if he keeps at it.

Comment

If there can be a little bit of school involved, look at him being a manual/CNC machinist. Everyone seems to be hiring around Houston and I don't think that profession is pushed very much. Starting pay is pretty good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                              If there can be a little bit of school involved, look at him being a manual/CNC machinist. Everyone seems to be hiring around Houston and I don't think that profession is pushed very much. Starting pay is pretty good as well.
                              ^^^^^^This

I'm a machinist and there is a definite lack of GOOD machinists out there. The pay is good and it's a profession that's always in demand. If anyone goes that route I'd strongly suggest learning manual and then CNC. There are very few manual machinists out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X