Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tool do I need for this Stihl saw chain??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tool do I need for this Stihl saw chain??

Got a roll of chain along with the links but not sure what's the best tool for assembly or if some are more user friendly than others. Any pointers / help in the right direction to share?? A First for me.

I just can't consistently sharpen correctly & want to make up chains for my 16" & 18" bars so I can rotate & let someone who knows have that task from now on.

Thanks!!
    Attached Files

Its called a "chain spinner".
    A chongo can use it, but you better check and make sure that the .063" matches your bar or you will be SOL.

Comment

Seems easier to just buy a couple chains for each.

By time you pay for the tool and an ER visit after you slip and hit the chain you can’t be saving much money

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
        Its called a "chain spinner".
        A chongo can use it, but you better check and make sure that the .063" matches your bar or you will be SOL.

I bought the chain here on TBH along with the 16" bar & Stoof confirmed it was the correct one for my 260. He was also kind enough to make me up one & been using them so gtg on that end.

I actually found an old 'spinner' that I must have bought back in my BMX or dirt bike days, but not gonna work here nor do I recall ever using it. I'm assuming one made for saw chain are universal for the various sizes. Thanks.

Comment

bicycles and mc's use a utility spinner or mending links- its made for wide chains.

there are different bits for drive link spacings and profiles. Spinning chainsaw chain is a liability so a lot of retailers have gotten away from it.
          Look at the ones from Stens.
          I'm a Stens dealer and may have something at work that will help you out. I'll be back in the office next Tuesday.

Comment

I have a plain jane generic spinner in the back of the warehouse.
            Someone must have either removed or thrown away the rivet breaker. Its a pretty simple process to do with a grinder if you don't have a breaker and the rivet and set plates.
            If you decide you want to use the spinner, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. You can find instructions on You Tube - I watched a pretty good one with a guy from Oregon today. He explains the process.
            Mail it back when done

Comment

Working...
            X